Rejection

I did some changes in this chapter I wanted to gain some action, so I used the dialogue to express it. Tell me please what you think!

I do my best, but I'm not a native English speaker so please forgive me on my grammar and punctuality in complex sentences (that's for whole three chapters, not only for this one).

If you by any chance like my story, then please hit the vote button and add it to your reading list! :D

Salon. Quarter past seven. Victoria was already there awaiting the butler. She was facing window with a serious expression on her face. Having taken a catnap, the Countess was fully recovered and completely able to finish their conversation from earlier. The only thought on her mind was that she had an intruder in her house which was driving her crazy. There was no proof that she could trust that man. Also, the story where her mother was involved, was so superficial. Lillian Wolfe was a generous and compassionate woman, but Victoria grew up believing that people lie. And if there was the one thing in this whole world that she considered unforgivable -was someone committing flam about her family.

There was a knock on the door.

"You're late," said the Countess coldly while turning to the butler.

"I'm sorry Milady, I didn't hear you enter the salon," the butler spoke.

"I used the other path."

"So I see."

"But I'm a strong adherent of punctuality! she emphasized.

"I understand, it won't happen again."

"There won't be a next time..." a thought crossed her mind.

"Here is Your tea, Milady," said the butler and put the tray with the tea on the coffee table.

Victoria sat down.

"And where is the kettle?"

"In the kitchen Milady, why?"

"I never drink just one cup, at least two. Also, I wasn't able to have tea the last couple of days regarding my journey, so I'm really anxious to amend that fact."

"So I should go back for the kettle, right Milady?

"Exactly!" said the Countess obviously annoyed.

"Alright, excuse me."

The butler left the salon.

After some time he entered again.

"I brought the kettle, Milady."

"Excellent."

He put the kettle on the coffee table only to discover another cup.

"Milady?"

"Yes, we will have tea together."

"I refuse!"

"Cut it! If you must, think that you are a guest of mine and that we're enjoying small talk."

There was no joking around with her, she was tough.

The butler followed her orders and sat down.

His Mistress poured his cup, then begun, "What is your name?"

"Sebastian, Milady. Sebastian Michaelis."

"That's a rather unusual name. I mean unusual in a good way," she had no intention of offending him.

He kept his silence.

"So, do you have a family?"

"No, I don't. I'm on my own. Just like you, Milady."

He said the last part in a very low voice-maybe, she concluded, trying to escape from capture of long forgotten memories, or to gain her sympathy.

"I'm sorry to hear that, but my situation is quite different from yours. Don't mix it."

"What do you do for a living, then?"

"I serve people and fulfill their wishes.", said the butler cynically."

"I suppose that's a hard work, to make people happy all the time?"
"Believe me or not it isn't, Milady. They all want the same thing."

"And that's?"

"More. People haven't changed for centuries. They all are greedy. And they want greed in all its forms: greed for life, money, love, knowledge and power."

The Countess fell silent. She understood the nature of human beings very well. After all, it was greed which destroyed her family.

"Look Sebastian," she begun after some time, "I have no intention of keeping you as my servant. The things you've said earlier just don't make any sense. I don't like liars. You shall be refunded for your good work, but please, abandon the mansion at once.

Sebastian stormed out of the mansion with a broken ego. To be called a liar and be dispatched like that hurt his feelings tremendously. A word that described his Countess and his feelings towards her escaped his mouth,

"Bitch!"