02.15

It took time to recover from all the information given from Fury and Pierce. Time is always the enemy, it's been almost two years since the Battle of New York and standing Steve up from their date. Since then, Victoria hadn't seen Steve. She's laid somewhat low or asking Fury to assign her missions to avoid the Avenger. She and Pierce had gotten close with their monthly conversations.

-------

Victoria entered the S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters and walked in to the Elevator. She walked down the hall towards Fury's office and opened the door. "Just the person I wanted to see." Fury greeted. "Yeah, might as well stop by since I'm not busy." Victoria smirked as she sat down on the chair across from Fury. Just Fury was about to speak, Victoria heard the door bust open and Steve's voice, "You just can't stop yourself from lying can you?" He marched over to the desk. She turned to look at him and stared at him as if he was a ghost. Steve looked down at the lady then focused his attention to Fury.

"I didn't lie, Romanoff had a different mission than yours." "That you didn't feel obliged to share." Cap said angry. "I'm not obliged to do anything," Fury stated. "Hostages could've died Nick." Steve mumbled. "He sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen." Victoria added her input. "Soldiers trust each other that's what makes them an army, not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns." Steve emphasized trust, making Devereaux feel guilty. "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye," Fury stood up and faced Steve. "Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with, Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything." "I can't beat a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own." Steve stated.

"It's call compartmentalizations. Nobody can't spill the secrets if nobody knows them." Fury finished. "Except you." Steve mumbled. "You're wrong about me, I do share, I'm nice like that. Come on, Rogers, Devereaux." Fury walked out of his office and to the elevator.

"Insight layer." Fury told the elevator voice control, "Confirm, Captain Rogers does not have clearance to Project Insight." The voice replied. "Director Override, Fury Nicholas J." "Confirm."

The whole ride down to the building's basement, Nick and Steve held their conversation, Victoria looked at Steve, who was looking at Nick to avoid any form of contact with the agent. There was this burn in Victoria's stomach, that made her feel very uncomfortable, guilt? nervous?

----------

When the elevator doors opened to the lowest level of the S.H.I.E.L.D. base and revealed all the new quinjets and hellicarriers. "This is Project Insight. Three next generation hellicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites." Fury explained to Rogers. Fury kept going on and on about the new toys S.H.I.E.L.D had.

"I thought the punishment usually came after the crime." Steve said "We can't afford to wait that long." Fury said while putting his hands in his pockets. "Who's we?" Steve asked. "After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we need a quantum search in threat analysis. For once we're way ahead of the curb." Fury finished then looked around. "By holding a gun on everyone on Earth and calling it protection." Steve mumbled.

"You know, I read those SSR files, the 'greatest generation'. You guys did some nasty stuff."Fury turned towards Steve. "Please to do tell Nick, I love a good sip of tea." Victoria smirked. Steve gave her a death glare while Victoria still had the smirk plastered on her face. "Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so people could be free, this isn't freedom, this is fear." Steve said pointing at the big machines. "S.H.I.E.L.D takes the world as it is, not what we like it to be. You should start hopping on the program Cap." Victoria stated moving from behind Fury, to face to face with Steve. Steve looked down at the girl and grumbled, "Don't hold your breath." and walked away.  "He reminds me of a twelve year old girl that doesn't get her way." Victoria grunted. Fury studied her for a second then asked bluntly, "Am I missing something between you two?!"

.