I. NORMAL

Birthdays had always been Isaac's favorite. It didn't matter whose it was, he loved it. Isaac loved his dad's because the older he got the closer he came to death. He loved his own because it was one year closer to becoming eighteen. Now, it was Clary's eighteenth birthday.

The Lahey boy had been living with the Fray's for about two years now, meaning that he was nineteen. Over the course of those years he learned what a good family looked like, what a normal, natural friendship was like, and more control. Even though he did have good control over his werewolf side when he lived at Beacon Hills, it wasn't as great as Scott's.

Isaac still struggled with minor anger issues back at that prison. Now, he could get angry and he wouldn't become a wolf. He felt proud of himself and the life he lived here. He hadn't become any closer in finding out about his family, but Isaac didn't really care because felt like he had a family with Jocelyn, Luke, and Clary.

Although Isaac didn't really like Simon, Clary's best friend, he sat with him at a local café waiting for Clary. She was great at drawing and painting, basically art, and had wanted to get into The Brooklyn Academy of Art, and today was her interview for getting in.

The two didn't speak, they sat in a silence that wasn't awkward, just unwanted. Simon didn't know why Isaac didn't like him, but never really asked, causing them to sit in an uncomfortable silence for Simon and a needed silence for Isaac. Simon reminded him of Stiles, a somewhat friend of his back in Beacon Hills, except Simon wasn't as twitchy. There wasn't an unresolved hatred of Stiles Stilinski, it was a guilt for leaving them to deal with all the supernaturals who were drawn there while Isaac lived a normal human life across the country.

Finally, after about thirty minutes of thinking, Clary walked in with a slight frown on her face. Her heart was beating, signaling to Isaac that she was excited. The girl walked over to the table, still frowning.

"Give me the professors' name and I-I will end them." This caused both Clary and Isaac to look over at him. Clary with surprise, and Isaac with a look of trying not to laugh.

Isaac, who had been holding in his laughter, finally let it out. "You and I both know that I could do more damage to them than you, glasses."

Simon and Clary glared at him, before turning back to each other. "You know, with a scaffolding email to the dean."

Clary tried hard to smile while Isaac continued to chuckle. "An email? So scary."

The redhead scoffed. "Don't bother," she then placed a letter between the two of them. CONGRADULATIONS, it read in big, red letter. Isaac smirked, knowing that she was going to get in.

"What?" Simon looked down before looking up at Clary again. "Sad face? Really?" Both laughed, Clary because she fooled him and Isaac because he was fooled. "Well played, well played."

"Thank you. You know, it's weird." Isaac looked over at her, afraid she would say something about demons or the supernatural. "They kind of liked my assigned work, but they flipped out over the drawings for our graphic novel." The blonde let out a breath that he was holding, glad that they still had a little time left.

Simon smiled at chuckled. "You're welcome."

"This day will go down in history as the greatest eighteenth birthday I ever had." Isaac wanted to be happy for her, but he knew that it would get worse either today or tomorrow, which caused him to mutter to himself, "or the worse."

"Which is why we are celebrating tonight," Simon added on to Clary's previous statement. He then to turned to Isaac, "Yes, with Maureen, after our show."