XXI. AND THE TRUTH COMES OUT

"So the trial is happening later today?" Isaac asked Magnus once he had returned to the apartment.

         Magnus had barely spoken to him, fixing his attention on trying to the win the trial as Isaac trailed after him, offering his help. But what he didn't realize was that the trial which would decide Isabelle's fate was that day. And Isaac, like everyone else, was not prepared.

         Everyone knew the truth of the trial. They didn't care about the ambush or Isabelle's involvement, what they cared about was the Cup – one that Clary had. And the Lightwood was close with the girl before she vanished, like everyone knew, but they also knew Clary cared for her friend.

         Isaac wanted to go and find Clary, tell her all about the trial and try and save Isabelle, but that wasn't what the brunette Shadowhunter would want. Isabelle would risk her life if it meant the Cup and her friends were safe – much like Clary. And while Isaac wanted to save her, he knew that if he took her away, she would still have to live in hiding for the rest of her life.

         The warlock nodded, "And I am totally unprepared for it! What am I going to say? A Downworlder has never defended a Shadowhunter before, and even if I do have a great defense, so what? It will all be ruined by the Clave."

         The Clave. That twisted government just like the rest of them. Isaac knew it wasn't true for every Shadowhunter, but the Clave definitely thought they were better than everyone else. They thought they were above the law, that they could decide when to follow it and when to venture from it. Isaac thought it was all complete bullshit.

         That Clave was going to strip an innocent Shadowhunter – one of their own – of her runes and leave her to die. Isaac didn't think that sounded fair, but what Clave would listen to a werewolf. They were Downworlders, after all.

         "I wish I could go," Isaac sighed, "Try and plead on her behalf, something that would accuse me instead of her."

         "It's too risky," Magnus shook his head, "You would be arrested alongside her if you appeared in front of them. It wouldn't let her off the hook."

         Isaac nodded. "I know...it's just – ah – I hate feelings. I really hate feelings, especially right now."

         The warlock smiled, laughing at him slightly as he threw his head against the couch in frustration. "Very descriptive, please continue."

         Isaac thought about. He never really talked about Allison since her death. He had fled to quickly to speak to the pack, and Chris never wanted to hear her name again. He had tried therapy to get over her death, but it didn't work out well when he was trying to hunt those who needed to be hunted. But he also never tried to get over her death, not really.

         And Magnus was his friend. Magnus was his friend who had told him about his true family, had gotten him to speak Allison's name for the first time in what seemed like forever, and he had been there when he really realized his feelings for Isabelle. He had been there for him and he had been there for the warlock, listening to fantasies he so desperately wanted to forget.

         With a sigh, Isaac started:

         "I haven't like someone since...since Allison. She was brave, fierce, and at first I thought I wouldn't have a chance with her. She was dating one of my best friends. And then they broke up and moved on, and she moved on to me. I felt alive when I was with her, and I knew I would do anything for her."

         He wiped a tear that was threatening to spill, "And then she died. She died in the most Allison way possible; saving her friends. It felt like everything shattered with her. Allison was the first person to really welcome me, to help me get past my childhood...and then she was gone."