III. SAVING PEOPLE, HUNTING THINGS, THE FAMILY BUSINESS

Isaac couldn't think. He knew in his heart that nothing Luke said was true, his heart didn't raise and there was no indication of lying. Him and Jocelyn were friends, he wouldn't betray her, he cared for her. But the feeling inside him ignored him, hurt coursed through his veins as they walked.

Clary led the two somewhere, but the curly haired boy thought nothing, his thoughts still consumed by Luke. He looked up to see the two were in their apartment, it was dark and bare. Something had definitely happened there, and Isaac had quite an idea of what had happened.

"Isaac," Clary cried, "What happened? Where is she?"

He gulped, forcing down a sob. He needed to be strong for Clary, he had to be strong. "I don't know, Clare Bare, I don't know." Finally, it wasn't lying. Telling the truth felt good, after years of keeping secrets he could finally tell the truth.

Thunder roared again as lightning struck, the perfect climate for the perfect feeling. They turned to see Dot, but it didn't feel like her.

"They look Jocelyn," she simply said, letting very little emotion out.

Tears streamed down Clary's face as she stared at what seemed like her older sister. "Who took her?"

"Rogue Shadowhunters searching for the Mortal Cup." Her voice was desperate, trying to grab onto Clary and search for it.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Her voice was weak, clawing for answers when all she got were questions. Isaac put his hand on her arm in comfort, but also in protection. She didn't feel like Dot.

"Think, Clary. Did your mother ever talk to you about a cup?" Dot stalked towards them, Isaac pushing them back as she pushed forward. "A very important cup. It's gold, almost like a chalice."

"She doesn't know, Dot." He screamed towards the woman. "You know that."

Clary didn't bat a lash towards Isaac, feeling slightly betrayed that he knew as well. "No! No, I don't know anything about a cup, Dot. One of the antiquities downstairs?"

"No, no, not those." She was close, too close for Isaac's liking. "Think, Clary. This could save Jocelyn."

"I can't think! Someone kidnapped my mother!" Clary yelled in her face, Isaac flinching at the sound of her voice. Even though it had been years, he still feared yelling and violence.

Dot's face turned cold. "You know more than you think you do, Clary Fray." Her face turned to tentacles and Isaac pushed Clary out of the way. He brought out his claws and slashed her face, it wounded the demon and made it angry, but it healed and turned to Isaac.

He ran, pushing the redhead away. Even if he couldn't get away, he could die knowing he saved someone. Isaac continued to fight the shapeshifter, but it pushed him down, walking towards Clary. It slashed her, its poison making its way to her veins.

"No!" Isaac screamed out as the shapeshifter disintegrated before his eyes, the blonde Shadowhunter appearing from behind it. "You, why are you here?"

Isaac was glad he killed the demon, but knew not to trust him yet. "What, no 'thank you' for saving your life?" he asked, smiling. Clary fell slightly and he grabbed her. "Careful. That demon got a piece of you."

"Demons?" Clary's voice was wistful, gaining unconsciousness slightly as she relaxed in his arms.

"Yeah. What do you think that miserable, disgusting thing was?" Jace, the Shadowhunter as Isaac knew, replied to the girl.

"I, uh...I thought it was Dot." Slowly, she started to fall asleep, her heart that was once racing, going down to a normal speed.

Isaac knew that she didn't know. She was oblivious to demons and the Shadow world, but Isaac knew of it in great detail. He wanted to go and hold her, but she had the Shadowhunter to hold her. She didn't want Isaac, and he could understand why.