i.

Chapter One;

Soleil sometimes felt like her bedroom was the only aspect of her life that actually changed.

Her parents weren't short on money, and Soleil used this to her advantage. With every changing season, the layout of her room was adjusted to suggest even the slightest passing of time, of difference, to become a small point of interest in her life. Soleil put the finishing touches to her new room: glass ornaments, all coloured in deep natural shades of orange and red and gold, and stood back to survey her new space.

Garel was quite the barren planet. There was hardly any greenery within the spaceports her home had established that covered most of the view from Soleil's window. Concrete and artificial light: sometimes, Soleil thought that was all her planet had to offer.

Her new room created an artificial sense of freshness, with her green walls, floral print bedsheet, and wooden furniture. It was quite the change from her previous bedroom, which had been all sorts of lavish shades of pink and purple.

Then again, she didn't have a particular favourite colour, or taste. What she really had an interest in was making the colours harmonious; an artistic expression on her otherwise dull planet. Or, rather, her uneventful life in general.

Soleil pursed her lips as she surveyed her changed bedroom, her mind returning to breakfast that morning. That was definitely one aspect of her life that flatly refused to change. She'd clattered down the stairs and, the first thing she'd asked upon entering the dining room, had been if she could explore outside of their house's grounds. Her parent's flat refusal had been such the standard, expected response that she was already mouthing it under her breath before they spoke.

She could tell by the exasperated look on her parents' faces whenever she entered the dining room that they, too, knew exactly what they were going to be asked.

She didn't know why she kept asking when she knew it was a lost cause. Maybe she hoped that, if she kept asking, her parents would one day grow tired of her continuous questions and give in. Though, now that she was sixteen, she wondered if they were impervious to it.

Soleil rested a hand on one of her green walls and sighed. She rested her head on the wall and gazed at the outside. The sun was still high in the air: a far cry from evening, the only time of day she actually felt happy.

There was a knock at the door. "Soleil? You in there? Can I come in?"

Soleil sighed at the voice. "Of course, Hana."

The door pushed open, revealing the young girl – the only person her parents allowed her to interact with. Hana Wisteria was about a year younger than Soleil, with light brown hair that framed her pale face. She was tiny and delicate, so easy to be seen as fragile, but nothing could be further from the truth. Beneath that petite frame was hard muscle and an oversized determination that was not in proportion to her body.

Hana was enrolled in the Imperial Academy, and well-distinguished. She was expected to pass her level 5 exams with flying colours, and the almost constant smirk on her face showed she was aware of it.

In a way, Soleil was enrolled in the Academy, too. It wasn't surprisingly, considering her parents were both high-ranking Imperial officers. However, she received her tuition from a tutor. She didn't travel to the prestigious academies like Hana did.

Hana raised her eyebrows. "New bedroom again, Soleil?"

"Are you really that surprised?"

"Not particularly. Considering it's the only form of control you're allowed over your life."