iv.

Chapter Four;

Fortunately, Soleil hadn't had to deal with the Ghost crew for long, upon their return to the freighter.

"Soleil needs time to herself," Hera had said, as she gently guided Soleil on board. Her arm was wrapped comfortingly around Soleil's shoulders, the gentlest of guides. "Sabine, would you come with me?"

Soleil was lead to a room, which was someone's sleeping quarters. She guessed it was Sabine's: the walls were covered in bright art that had been spray-painted on to the grey material. From the way Sabine seemed to relax upon entering the room, the doodles on the walls matching the prints on her armour, Soleil knew she had guessed correctly.

Sabine lounged against the wall as Soleil rested on the bed. Hera squeezed her shoulder before she departed.

"I'm shattered," Soleil muttered, once the door closed.

Sabine laughed. "Unsurprising – you've been through a lot in a short space of time." She grinned. "Try and sleep if you can. It might help."

Soleil didn't find it easy to fall asleep on the spot. She was a dreamer; instead of sleeping, she was more likely to be found lost in her daydreams, imaging life once she left the confining walls of her home.

But this time, sleep came easy as though it had responded to her call. The emotional turmoil rushed upon her all at once and Soleil left the trialling hours behind her in the realms of sleep.

When she was shaken awake, she found Hera was back in her room. Sabine stood by the door, tossing what looked like a spray can in her hands. Soleil squinted at the walls, and thought she saw some new pieces adorning the walls that hadn't previously been there.

"We're back," Hera said.

Soleil suddenly realised they were no longer in hyperspace. Which meant that they were back on Garel.

She leapt to her feet. "No," she stammered, shaking her head. "No, no, no. I am not going back there! Not after what I just witnessed!"

She was shouting, but she didn't care. If she hadn't wanted to remain before, there was no way she wanted to return now. No way she could smile, as though everything in the universe was fine and dandy. She couldn't walk through those corridors as though nothing had changed; she couldn't even dream without thinking that somewhere out in the galaxy, there were people who could only dream of a better future after the Empire robbed them of their homes, their families, and nearly all of their hope.

"Soleil," Hera said gently. Behind her, the other members of the Ghost crew, as well as their droid, appeared from behind the door. "I understand how difficult this is going to be. But you don't understand enough yet. We can't ask you to leave your family behind until you have a chance to understand everything."

Soleil crossed her arms. "I don't care," she growled. "We never saw eye to eye. I'm not close to them. I don't care – I can't return! I can't play the role of the future Imperial any longer, not after learning what they do!"

"And we're not asking you to," Kanan spoke up. "We're just asking you to give it time. To find things out for yourself, in a way that... Isn't as drastic as what occurred today. We don't want you thrown into such a situation like that again."

"So, you're not just dumping me here?"

"'Course not," Zeb said gruffly. "What sort of Rebels would we be, willingly giving the Imperials another man?"

An expected bout of laughter burst from Soleil's mouth. It hadn't even been that funny a comment – but after everything that had happened, she was slightly hysterical. It didn't take her much to set her off on either end of the spectrum.