xviii.

Chapter Eighteen;

Soleil hadn't known what Ahsoka had meant by a friend – but she hadn't been expected an old Weequay pirate to hold the material needed to construct a lightsaber. 

Two, actually, since Soleil knew she was going to have twin blades. That was how she had trained, and what she felt comfortable with.

The pirate – who Ahsoka said was named Hondo Ohnaka – spread his arms and chortled when Ahsoka stepped foot into his ship.

"Ahsoka Tano!" he boomed. "It is good of you to visit your old friend Hondo!"

Ahsoka smiled thinly, though there was an indulgent, amused glow in her eyes.

"We don't have much time, Hondo. Do you have any spare parts lying around?" She nodded in Soleil's direction. "Soleil here needs them."

It took time, but eventually Ahsoka and Hondo tracked down all the necessary equipment. Soleil frowned when she saw them. It just looked like pieces of scrap metal to her. She didn't see how the old pieces of metal and gears would come together to create the elegant weapon of the Jedi.

"Creating lightsabers is an ancient art," Ahsoka said, once they were back on her ship. Hondo had bade them farewell in a booming voice, and declared he hoped to see them again in the future. Soleil was under the impression Ahsoka would rather not meet him again in the near future. "It takes care to fit the blades together just right. But don't worry – I'll be right beside you."

Soleil's nerves hadn't been completely settled, but she released tension in her body. She trusted Ahsoka. She knew the Torgruta would always lead her in the right direction.

They spread the pieces in front of Soleil and sat before them. Soleil closed her eyes and meditated on the pieces, breath low – the entire world seemed to quiet down as she prepared to commence the task.

Ahsoka spoke in a soft voice, guiding Soleil through the process. It was difficult but, after a time, Soleil could see the pieces begin to fit together. From there her mind flowed easily, telling her where to place each item. She was distantly aware of the click of metal pieces coming together, but paid it no heed.

As she forged her lightsaber, she concentrated on just what was important to her. She didn't want to be a warrior, spreading destruction everywhere: she wanted to end this conflict, and assist to establish an era of peace. She wanted to help those who couldn't help themselves. She wanted balance.

She recalled everything Ahsoka had taught her about the Living Force: they lived in the present, balanced, and were connected to all things. Even as she meditated on her sabers, she was vaguely aware of all the life that existed in the universe.

The image in her mind was becoming clearer, until she had such a definitive picture in her mind that she almost believed she was gazing upon the lightsabers with her own eyes.

The two sabers were similar to Ahsoka's, since that was what Soleil had practiced with and had grown comfortable using. The twin blades were slightly curved, and simplistic, though they differed from Ahsoka's where Soleil added extra grip to hold on to them. The grip was the deepest black, while the hilts shone metallic silver.

Hand shaking slightly, Soleil reached out and grabbed them. Her entire body seemed to come alive when she held them.

Her weapons. Her life. In her hands.

They were beautiful.

Ahsoka smiled. "Go on. Activate them."

Soleil did, the twin blades humming in the air like a second heartbeat in her body.