xi.

Chapter Eleven;

Soleil wasn't surprised to find Sabine painting.

For a long time after her talk with Kanan, Soleil remained cooped up in the small space of her shared room. Her mind recounted the conversation with Kanan, and attempted to comprehend that her blood contained the same potential to wield the powers of the Jedi of old.

She groaned. All this thinking was giving her a headache.

She recalled what Sabine said about art, and that it kept her distracted. Soleil could relate. Whenever she needed to escape, she'd submerse herself in writing and words. It was a relief from the world around her, a pretence that she was lost in any world but the barren surface of Garel, the place she used to call home.

Now she was reconsidering. The Ghost was looking to be her new home.

Her head was spinning, as though she was passing through a really rough space of turbulence. Maybe Sabine's advice would really help – maybe some form of creation would keep her mind in a good place.

Soleil snatched up her datapad and searched through the Ghost, until she found Sabine spraying paint across a currently blank wall of the Ghost. Soleil collapsed nearby, sprawling over the surface of the curving seat.

"Hey, Soleil," Sabine said, pausing briefly in her painting to glance at her friend. Soleil's heart fluttered when Sabine smiled. "What did Kanan want to talk to you about?"

Soleil sighed and rested her head on the seat. "That's what I came out here for. To not think about it."

"Are you okay?"

Sabine walked toward Soleil and kneeled by her hair, so Soleil was staring up at Sabine's face instead of the ceiling. It was a much nicer sight than the grey metal, Soleil thought. Prettier. More artistic. Their proximity made Soleil's stomach perform numerous somersaults.

Soleil was so captivated that she forgot Sabine had asked a question until the blue-haired girl waved a hand in front of Soleil's face. "Um, universe to Soleil? You okay?"

Soleil started. "Hmm. Mostly," she blurted.

Sabine sighed. "Talk. Come on." She held Soleil's hand and shook it. "I'm right here."

Soleil chuckled lightly. She wondered if Sabine knew how her eyes sparkled when she was determined on something.

Soleil ran her other hand through her pink-and-gold hair. "Kanan told me I'm Force sensitive. He wants me to become a Jedi."

Sabine gasped.

"Soleil! That's so cool!"

Soleil just shrugged. Sabine frowned. Her hand slid down Soleil's arm until she held her hand.

"Why are you so down?"

Soleil lowered her gaze. "I'm not sure I want to be."

"Why not?"

Soleil spread her arms.

"I don't want to be something... mythological, you know? I just want to me. Nothing strange. Just Soleil Foxe. That's why I left."

Sabine was quiet for some time.

"Well, I understand where you're coming from. The Force confuses me – I much prefer to have my trusty blasters and explosives by my side." She patted her side. She still hadn't taken off her belt from the previous battle. "But who knows? This could allow you to find a side of yourself you never knew existed."