xvi.

Chapter Sixteen;

"Ahsoka? Can I ask a question?"

Soleil had barely even eaten. She pushed her meagre food around on her plate and picked at a few bites, but she wasn't hungry. She was just tired – she wished she could leave her meal and go to bed, but knew that wouldn't be possible. She still had strategy drills to go through with.

It didn't help that she was distracted, too. Her mind was a galaxy away – with a certain blue-haired Mandalorian. Soleil had just finished one of her calls to the crew of the Ghost, and it was Sabine's face that lingered longest in her mind.

Even though the most the two of them was talk about their favourite art, and Soleil had a pretty wild conversation with Ezra about Jedi training, it was Sabine that Soleil yearned for. She wanted to send another message just to see Sabine's face once again, or hear her voice. She was terrified that if she didn't contact the Ghost often enough, both features would fade away until she couldn't remember them. She had already forgotten the scent that followed Sabine wherever she went – she didn't want that to happen until she forgot.

Ahsoka smiled good-naturedly. "You just did. But go ahead and ask another."

Soleil opened her mouth, but closed it soon after.

"Right..." She cleared her throat. "So. The old Jedi Code. Why was there a rule that Jedi couldn't form attachment?"

Her face burned when she asked it.

Ahsoka frowned. "I'm not entirely sure myself. It was drilled into all younglings from a young age that attachments were forbidden. I think the best reason is that the Jedi were supposed to be peaceful and serene, and servants of the galaxy – we couldn't be too attached to any one thing, when we had to keep the entire galaxy in mind. But I never followed that rule too well."

Soleil shuffled forward, the firelight enhancing the expectant gleam in her eye. Ahsoka laughed and leaned back, as though deep in thought.

"Well, first there was Lux Bonteri." She pulled a bit of a face. "Now I look back, it was probably because he had a pretty face... I'm not even sure I liked him very much. He wasn't that great, truthfully. Then there was Nix, in the Coruscant underground. We didn't know each other for long, but he made an impression on me. More recently, it was Kaeden Larte." When she spoke Kaeden's name, her entire demeanour changed. Her expression softened, and she smiled wistfully. Soleil could instantly tell that this was the girl who had made the biggest impression on Ahsoka's life – and on her heart. "She was a force to be reckoned with. And, of course, there was my old Master, Anakin Skywalker." A mischievous glint played in her eyes. "Why do you ask?"

Soleil froze. "No reason," she stammered, "I was just curious -"

"It's the Ghost, isn't it?"

"Not necessarily -"

"Specter Five, perhaps? Sabine Wren?"

Soleil turned beet red.

"That's none of your business!" she shrieked, which she instantly knew was as good as a confession.

Ahsoka laughed. She reached to take Soleil's hand. "Relax, Soleil. I'm not going to discourage you. In fact, I think you should go for it."

Soleil blinked.

"Really? But the Code -"

"The Code was for old times. When I left the Jedi Order, I had time to think, and question some of the decisions of the Jedi. I don't agree with many things they believed in, including the rule on attachments."

"I see." A slow smile spread across Soleil's face. "Thank you, Ahsoka."

Ahsoka waved the apology away. "There's no need. You're becoming a wise person, Soleil." The Togruta woman winked. "Let's see if that shows itself in the upcoming scenario quiz, shall we?"

After a few lessons on strategy, this was how Ahsoka directed Soleil's lessons on battle tactics. She'd describe several scenarios and give Soleil an objective, and Soleil had to work out the best way to solve the problem they were facing. Occasionally she and Ahsoka would disagree on a matter, and it would spark an informative debate that was always interesting. Soleil liked seeing how Ahsoka's mind worked. They came from two entirely different backgrounds: Ahsoka had been raised as a Jedi, while Soleil had lived most of her life in ignorance. More often than not Soleil would admit that Ahsoka's reasoning was better, but they often agreed to disagree, for they'd both have valid points. Battle strategy was fast becoming Soleil's favourite part of Jedi training, even more so than learning how to use a lightsaber.

Using a lightsaber was just combat. Strategy – that actually made you think. Soleil knew that right now, she wouldn't be able to best her enemies with force and combat alone: they had years of experience on top of her measly two months. If she was to get the upper hand, it would be through careful planning and using her environment.

They got through six different scenarios that night, an achievement of which Soleil was proud. Usually Ahsoka got her to respond as soon as possible, for you wouldn't always have time to plan on the battlefield. More often than not you had to sum up a situation in a second and come up with a reasonable plan.

When they finished, Soleil knew she had done well. Ahsoka was smiling, a proud glow in her eyes. "You've come far in these two months, Soleil. I think you're ready to rejoin the others and continue this fight on your own terms."

Soleil gasped. She had to sit on her hands to stop herself clapping her hands together in excitement. "Really?"

Back to her new friends, her family. To Sabine. To fighting, and being able to fight her own battles, and not needing protection.

She could really prove herself.

"Yes. But before that, you must go through one last trial. You need a lightsaber."

"Oh." Soleil's excitement deflated, replaced instead with trepidation and confusion. "How -"

Ahsoka tapped the dual white lightsabers that hung at her hips. "A kyber crystal. You must find your own – no other person's crystal will work for you. We will begin the test tomorrow. For now, sleep."

Soleil was only too happy to oblige. Her hunger returned, and she downed the rest of her dinner, even though it was cold.

When she returned to bed, all she could think about was that soon, she was going to see everyone again.