viii.

Chapter Eight;

The minute the Ghost left hyperspace, Soleil once more rushed toward the cockpit, eager for her first glimpse of Lothal.

It wasn't the most beautiful planet ever: it was predominantly a sparse grassland, the grass so long that Soleil would have bet credits it would reach her knees. Yet there was something rugged and enduring about it, and that captivated her. It was the sort of atmosphere that would surround a survivor. 

She drank in the sights, unable to stop smiling.

But that smile soon disappeared from her face when they learned that Kanan and Ezra were in trouble. Sabine and Zeb made a dash for the Ghost's door and, without thinking, Soleil darted after them.

"What can I do?" Soleil asked, following Sabine.

The other girl hesitated.

"Just stay with Hera, Soleil. You don't have a weapon."

Soleil bit her lip. "Which makes me pretty much useless," she muttered, leaning against the wall and folding her arms.

Sabine had shot her an apologetic glance before dashing for the exit.

Soleil didn't go to the cockpit with Hera – she was too irritated to do so. To watch the fight outside and knowing she could do nothing would only make her feel more useless. She heard blaster fire and yells and before long, felt the Ghost rise beneath her feet and escape the scene below. Soleil pushed herself off the wall and ambled outside, and saw everyone had gathered just outside the cockpit.

Only, it wasn't just Kanan and Ezra they'd brought back on board. There was an old man and a girl, who looked to be about Ezra's age.

Soleil's eyes widened. She recognised the girl, having seen images of her. Leia Organa, princess of Alderaan, daughter of Bail Organa, who was an Imperial Senator.

So she's a Rebel spy, huh? Soleil couldn't help but smirk. She decided she liked Leia already.

The group was gathered around Ezra, who was dressed in a Stormtrooper cadet outfit. Even from here, Soleil could sense the depression hanging over him like a thick, grey cloud.

No wonder. He'd just lost his parents for the second time.

"We heard what happened," Zeb said lowly. "Sorry, kid."

Sabine rested both hands on his shoulders. "Hey, at least now you know," she said gently.

"Yeah." There was no spirit in Ezra's voice. He shrugged off Sabine's hands. "I guess I just need some time."

Feeling like an intruder, Soleil slipped off down the corridor. Despite being welcomed with open arms, she knew that it was going to take some time for her to truly feel like she belonged, especially considering how close everyone else was.

Give it time. You'll be one of them eventually.

Soleil sighed and trudged into the hall of rooms, and then paused. Her brow furrowed. Something was calling out to her – only, this was wordless. It was more like a feeling, something stretching out to her, an invisible cord tied to her and tugging, impatient for her to start moving.

"Oh-kay..." Soleil tried to turn away, but the tugging only grew fiercer.

What is this?

She wasn't going to be satisfied until she understood.

Her steps slower, Soleil prowled in the direction the call was leading her. It didn't take long: in fact, it stopped once she came to a halt outside the door to one of the sleeping quarters on the Ghost.