Forty Five

I almost fell from the tree in shock. How could it be? The creatures had intelligent eyes, but the protruding bones and flesh of the contaminated. What monstrosity had the commissioner created? Had this been his plan all along? To create an army of undead?
I didn't have time to think about it much longer. I had to move. I had to take the shot on the commissioner. Grasping the tranquilizer gun, I aimed. He was in range. I could hit him in the neck and take him out.
But then what? Would the contaminated kill him? Would they turn their knowing eyes on me and strike? There was no way I would survive if they did. Not if they were the army they appeared to be.
I froze for so long that the commissioner moved forward, leading his army closer. They marched in silent procession, the stamp of their feet the only sound. It was like a music of its own; in perfect rhythm.
They advanced forward towards the camp, stomping in rhythm as they did. They stopped in front of the closed gate, as if awaiting orders.
The commissioner rode up on horseback from behind. He paused at the base of the tree where I sat hidden. The ranks of the undead were waiting at the gate. I held my breath afraid to move.
Did he know I was in the tree? Is that why he stopped? Sweat lined my hands as I gripped the gun. Could I pull the trigger without attracting attention to my location? If the commissioner had really found me, I wouldn't have a choice.
My heart pounded wildly at the thoughts, a paralyzing fear overcoming me. I wasn't prepared for this. I wasn't prepared to fight an army of undead. This couldn't be happening.
"Onward march," the commissioner bellowed to his army. The closest solider to the gate marched forward and unlocked the gate. Once it was opened, they marched forward without glancing back. As they surged around the camp, the commissioner followed on his horse.
He was quickly moving out of range. If I didn't shoot him then, I wouldn't have the opportunity again. Especially not with his army of undead surrounding him.
I did the only thing I could think to do.
I pulled the trigger.
The dart flew forward into the night. But in the darkness, my aim was off and the dart speared the horse's rear end. I cringed as I waited for the horse to buck.
But the animal didn't flinch. It was as if the horse felt no pain from the dart at all. I stared mesmerized in horror. It wasn't until a patch of flesh fell from where the dart hit that I knew.
He was riding on an undead horse.
And with the sound of the flesh hitting the ground, the commissioner spun to face the trees behind him. He knew we were in the trees. I had blown our cover.
Before he could order his army back, I desperately pulled the trigger of the tranquilizer gun again. This time the dart found its mark, piercing the soft flesh of the commissioner's neck. His hand flew up to his neck and his eyes widened in shock, before he fell off his undead horse with a thud.
Relief flooded me at the sight. I did it. I had stopped him. Perhaps his army was only controlled by him. They didn't seem to be moving at all now. Could it be that they were dead-for good this time?
Whatever relief I felt was short lived as the ranks pivoted around to face me. They marched, the ground shaking underneath them, back towards the tree where I sat hidden.