A Hat and a Grappling Hook: Pacifica's POV

I felt bad for Gideon, I really did. He still has a crush on a girl that was so mean to him! Granted, they were best friends before, but still... I helped him put everything back to its original place, and he carefully hid the journal into his inside vest pocket.

We headed back to the Shack, and we take the gift shop entrance, to see Wendy chatting with a boy around her age. Besides me, I hear Gideon gasp as he sees him.

The bell rings as we close the door, which notifies employees of a new customer, and the two teens look toward us, Wendy's face perking up a tiny bit, and the boy's turns to a large, pretty smile.

"Gideon!" Says the dude, who's wearing a green flannel button-up, blue skinny jeans, and brown boots. He's actually quite good-looking, and looks totally dreamy. I'd totally fall for him, but he seemed too mature for me. Worth a shot, though!

"R-Robbie!" Gideon stuttered, face turning paler than usual, so his face was literally as white as paper

"It's been so long! It's good to see you, dude!" Robbie comes up to him and bro hugs him. It was cringey to watch Gideon awkwardly return the bro hug.

"N-Nice t-to see you t-too, Rob-bie." Gideon's face turned to shock. Then I suddenly realized this was the Robbie Wendy had a crush on those years ago that Gideon told me about literally less than ten minutes ago. Okay, maybe I shouldn't make a move on the guy who literally terrorized my best friend. But he seems so nice!

"Are you okay, Gideon?" I gently shake his shoulder, trying to shake him back to reality.

"Y-yeah, um, I'm okay, let's go, Pacifica!" Gideon grabs my wrist with brute force and drags me upstairs to the attic.

"What is with you lately?" I groaned. "I've never seen you so nervous since we came here."

"Ugh!" Gideon exclaimed. "Robbie was so rude! Is this a front? Is he just being nice to me in front of Wendy like he did before? Why is he so good-looking now?!" He paced back and forth frantically.

"You're still worried he'll win over Wendy's heart, huh?" I smiled sadly at him as this idea dawned on me.

"There's no doubt they've dated." Gideon kicks at the floor. "It's like they've completely reversed personalities now, though." He sighed, and fell back onto his bed.

"Okay, whatever. Show me that journal!" I say, trying to keep his mind off of his former crush and his former bully.

For the rest of the daylight, Gideon and I flipped through the each and every of the book, and he was ogling and mystified by all the creatures and weird magic stuff found in it. A lot of it was also written in some kind of code, and Gideon swore he would use the summer to crack each and every one of them to find out the odd secrets about this journal. Finally, when we had gone through the book, which half of the pages were left unfinished, we headed downstairs to find Gideon's uncle.

As we entered the gift shop, we saw Bud sitting at the register counter with his feet propped up onto the desk and leaning back on the stool counting the the shack had made that day.

"How was your day, kids?" He asked, not looking up from counting his bills.

"Eh." Answered Gideon half-heartedly.

"Could've been better." I shrugged. "Popcorn shrimp was great, though." I said, and immediately thought of the savory flavor of the lunch we had earlier. Speaking of, we read that book for so long, we forgot to eat dinner. Oh well.

Bud looked up at us, then around the shop, then let out a sigh. "Y-you know, I accidentally restocked the shack's inventory. Why don't y'all pick something? On the house?" He looked back at us with a small smile.

"What's the catch?" Gideon raised an eyebrow at his uncle.

Bud put the bills in a neat fashion onto the desk, and went on to another random stack. "The catch is to pick something before I change my mind."

Gideon and I then split ways to find something that would tickle our fancy.

"By the way, what's the Tent of Telepathy?" Gideon asks while looking at some keychains.

"Why do you ask, Gideon?" Bud looks up immediately from the money and his tone changes to a more provocative one.

"Paz and I just saw a poster about it, and it seemed interesting, and we wanted to check it out."

Bud flinched. "Don't you ever go there! The Gleefuls are a bunch of hooligans with their 'magic tricks' and whatnot." He said, exasperated with a tone of hatred. "They've been stealing my customers lately! No one in my family will ever be found under the Gleeful's roof!" He pointed at his nephew with the stack of bills he was currently holding in his hand.

"Tents technically don't have roofs, right?" Gideon leans over and whispers into my ear.

"I think we just found our loophole!" I smile and whisper back to him, and run over to a shelf of snow globes.

"Hey! Paz!" Gideon called out to me. I ran over to see what he had picked, and he had on a blue and white cap with a star logo embroidered onto the front of it. "I fixed my hair problem!" He smirked at me.

I growled at him, and turned back to look for something I would like, then found the perfect thing.

"GRAPPLING HOOK!" I shouted as I pulled it out from a box of discarded junk.

Gideon and his uncle exchanged a look before Bud spoke up. "Wouldn't you rather have a doll or something?"

"GRAPPLING HOOK!" I bellowed to the entire world.

"Fair enough!" Said Bud. "Time for bed, now, kids."