{Craig} Sometimes Love Is A Little Weird {Jones} (Book 1) [9]

I was wondering back towards the stage when I saw Jake one of the stage hands doing some kind of funny dance and cursing very loudly. “Ouch, damn it! Get back here! Stop that! Ouch! Damn little razors!”

“Um Jake?” I asked unable to contain my laughter it slipped from my lips.

“It’s not funny!” Jake said as he continued to move around weirdly.

“Actually it is kind of funny. What are you doing anyway?” I asked when I got control of myself. I watched him reach up under his shirt and wince as he pulled out a ball of black fur. The little head popped up and I saw beady blue eyes and a little patch of white under the chin.

“I was trying to corral this ‘sweet little angel’.”

“He or she looks pretty innocent to me.” I say unable to contain my amusement.

“Don’t let him fool you he’s pure devil.”

“So uh where did he come from?”

“Stray apparently. His mom and siblings made it across the highway but he didn’t. He got left behind and you know Amelia.” Jake said rolling his eyes in reference to one of the first aid girls.

“She adopt it huh?”

“Well no she’s trying to find it a good home. Apparently she’s allergic to the little thing.”

Allergic to cats pulsed in my brain. No I couldn’t be that mean could I? Oh yes I could. Besides, Gabby would love the kitten.

“You know I think we can find it a home on our bus and a more permanent home with my new tech. She loves animals.”

“Really?” He handed the little ball of fur over to me. “Take it and if she doesn’t like him don’t bring him back.” Jake said before running off laughing. I just shook my head. Sometimes I really have to worry about that boy. I look at the tiny kitten who only filled my hand. He had really long pretty black fur with just that one white patch. He whined a little bit so I pet him and he starts purring but it’s interrupted by another whine.

“Well I’m not sure if that means you’re hungry or what but I know someone who would know so let’s go see her.” I carefully walk back to the bus and see Mick, Chris, and Corey standing by the door. Mick eyed the kitten. “Is that for Gabby?”

“Yeah.” I said.

“Dude, you know most guys just get a chick flowers when they like her or candy…not a kitten.” Chris said.

Corey smacked him on the back of the head. “This is Craig not most guys.”

“Besides I think Gabby will appreciate that it’s not something so normal and mundane.” Mick said.

“Thanks.” I say as I open the door and walk onto the bus. I walk back towards the bunks and pause outside Sid’s bunk. I hear Annie giggling and Gabby and Sid talking low. I knock on the wood frame and Gabby opens the curtain. Her eyes immediately fall on the kitten and they widen. I put the kitten down on her chest and it whines a bit.

“Awww,” she immediately coos. “It’s so cute. Where did you get it?”

“He was a stray that got separated from his mom.”

“Can I keep him?” Gabby asked.

“He’s yours if you want him.” She squeals and pets the kitten.

“I’m gonna take good care of you. You’re gonna be spoiled rotten little one.” The kitten does the same purr and whine combination it did earlier. “Aww you’re hungry. Let’s get you some milk.” I watch as she gets up out of the bunk and takes it to the kitchen. I hear Sid sneeze. Gabby puts the milk back in the fridge and turns back to the bunk slowly. Her smile gone. “I forgot Sid.” She looks so heartbroken and walks slowly back over to the kitten and pets him while he’s drinking his milk. I hear Sid curse under his breath.