Chapter 8 - Into The Woods

Bright.

My eyes opened, the sun shined brightly into my face. I shielded my face with my hand.

My hand was was starting to turn white. I needed to find something to eat. It couldn't be human blood, no way.

I didn't know if I would be able to control myself, if I tasted that.

I've never learned to control myself with human blood. And I wasn't sure that I could start now, being around so many of them.

"Come on, get up," Melony said, shaking me slightly. I realized that Melony was the one that actually woke me up. She moved a strand of hair from her face.

"Okay, okay. I'm up, I'm up," I said, as I sat up.

Last night we had talked for a while, before falling asleep. She had insisted that I stayed in her room for the night.

The smell of fresh food hit my nose. I closed my eyes, and took a deep smell in.

"Smell good?" she asked. "Come on." Melony grabbed my hand, and pulled me up.

"But, I didn't pay for any food" I told her, and furrowed my brow.

"Don't worry, I talked to my father."

"About what?"

"Don't worry about it," she said. "Just come on." She dragged me out of her bedroom.

We went into the kitchen, and there were children everywhere. And when I say everywhere, I mean, everywhere.

I saw Kelsa, with a little boy. They looked the same age, and had very similar features. They both had red hair, and freckles. But, Kelsa had brown eyes, while the boy had blue.

They were playing, or fighting over a piece of cloth, perhaps a blanket?

There were several other children running around some playing, others fighting.

Melony led me over to the counter, and we leaned up against it.

"So, these are my brothers and sisters." She spread her arms out, to show.

"Yeah, wow. That's a lot of children. Are they always like this?" I asked.

She looked down, with a sigh. "Yes."

"Wow, that must be a handful. Do you have to take care of them... by yourself."

"Most of the time, yes. But sometimes my father and I switch. He takes care of them, and I take care of the inn."

"Oh."

"Yea-"

"Hey, SIs. Who's your friend?"A boy asked, as he leaned on the counter beside us. He had slick brown hair, and emerald eyes.

Melony used her palm to push him on his forehead. "Go on, Cay. Don't be gross."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine, I'll be waiting if you change your mind." He looked at me, with a sly smile, backing away. As he almost tripped, but caught himself. Melony and I laughed, as he turned red, and ran off.

"Why is his name Cay?" I asked.

"It's short for Cayon," she replied.

"Oh... that makes since. By the way, your brother kind of creeps me out, is he always like that?"

"Sadly, yes. He flirts with every girl that comes into the inn. You should see the dirty looks he gets from husband, betrothed, and boyfriends. He just doesn't know when to stop."

"Wow, how old is he?" I asked.

She sighed. "Only fourteen, nearly fifteen."

"Wow. That's great," I said, but my sarcasm was definitely in my voice.