Chapter 20 - Bitten

Mason was a werewolf.

My mind wouldn't leave that thought.

Werewolves were extinct.

Maybe not...

How was this even possible? Was I scared? No, not really, but a little.

We stared at each other, wide-eyed. We both slowly stood up, not breaking eye contact.

"You're a... a... " I stuttered.

"Werewolf," he replied flatly. I could tell in his eyes that... that he was afraid. But, I didn't understand why. "Okay, so now you know my secret." He sighed.

I nodded. His eyes fell to the ground. "So, what now?" he asked, putting his hand behind his neck.

I looked him up and down. He was barefoot, and shirtless. All he had on was his trousers. He had dirt stains all over his body.

"Are we done? Are you gonna run away scared? Tell the whole town?" he asked.

We met eyes again, his hand fell from behind his neck. He had anger in his eyes.

I looked at him, and furrowed my brow. "What... what are you talking about?" I asked.

"You know what I am, aren't you gonna run away screaming?" he asked.

"Mason, I may be a little freaked out right now, but... I guess now is a better time than ever, to tell you one of my biggest secrets."

"What are you talking about? It couldn't be as bad as mine." He shook his head. "I mean I'm a werewo-"

"I'm a vampire," I blurted out, flatly.

His head jerked up, eyes wide. "You're a... vampire?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"How old are you?" he asked.

"Umm... I..."

"Em," he said, sternly.

"Sixteen... hundred."

"You're... wow. Why the heck didn't you tell me?"

Now I was the one being to get angry. "What? You didn't tell me you were a freaking werewolf!" I clenched my jaw.

He took a step toward me. "Em, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." He had an arm out toward me.

I took a deep breath. My side was burning and I couldn't think straight.

"Em, I didn't tell you, because I was scared that I was gonna lose you," he explained.

I nodded. "That's the same for me."

He nodded. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." I rubbed my side, which just made it burn more. "Awch!"

Mason furrowed his brow. "What's wrong?" he asked, as I lifted the side of my shirt.

I revealed, a bloody patch on my side. I quickly pulled my shirt down.

"What was that?" Mason asked.

I shrugged. "Must have cut my side on a rock when I fell."

He sighed. "You mean, when I pushed you?" he asked, in a statement more than a question.

I nodded. "Yeah."

Mason sighed, and began to walk off. "Mason, where are you going?" I called after him. As I began to go after him. He took off running, I ran too.

He was fast, a little faster than me. I couldn't keep up. We were zooming through the woods, two blurred figures. I didn't know werewolves could run as fast as vampires, but I guess I didn't really know anything about them.