Chapter 26 - Engagements

"Your Highness! Your Highness! I need the king! Where is the king?" The guard look scared. He was in a hurry, pushing through all of the crowd.

"Here, Richard," father called.

"I should go up there," I told Mason, as I let go of his hand and began to walk.

Mason grabbed my hand. I turned my head to look at him. "I'm coming with you," he said.

I nodded and we both walked up to my mother and father. Mason stopped at the edge of the crowd, but I continued to walk, until I stood next to my parents.

"Your Highnesses." He bowed.

"What's wrong, Richard?" father asked.

"The Black Arrows have declared war."

~~~~~

"What do you mean?" father demanded.

"Well not just the Black Arrows, every werewolf in the Northern side has joined them, for this fight."

We were in the throne room now. Mother and father in their thrones, and I stood beside mother's throne, my hands folded in front of me.

Richard stood in front of us, explaining what was happening

Eli was the only one allowed in here, since he was a duke, and a close family friend. Mason and Mel were forced to be in here, because mother and father saw the tattoos on their arms. So, they were going to be questioned and set free, (but, only because of my asking, or pleading), and because mother and father didn't want to deal with them right now.

"Are you sure?" father asked.

"That's what our spies have just informed us on," Richard said.

"Did you two know anything about this?" mother asked Mason and Mel.

I looked over at them. "No," Mel said, shaking her head.

I searched Mason's eyes, trying to figure out what he was thinking.

His jaw was clenched. I was pretty sure that he was thinking about his father. This was most likely his father's doing.

"What are we gonna do?" father mumbled, resting his forehead on his knuckles, with his elbow resting on the arm of his throne.

Maso stepped forward. "Your Majesty, I know that what my father is doing is wrong. I have never agreed with anything he had ever done. I would be honored, if you would allow me to help, on your side, to fight in this war."

'What?" It slipped from my mouth so loud, and without my mind even noticing, until everyone eyes snapped over to me. "Sorry," I mumbled.

"How can I trust you? How can I know that you aren't going to spy for your father?" father asked, his head was raised now.

Mason looked in thought for a minute. "If I stay trustworthy, and live through the war... I would like you to allow me... your daughter's hand?"

Confusion filled my parents eyes. "Why would you want our daughter's hand?" mother asked. My heart sped up.

"Well, before she came back here, while she was out there." He motioned out. "We fell in..." He looked at me to make sure it was okay that he told. I nodded, a smile bright on my face. "Love."

It was quiet for a moment. Mother turned toward me. "Is this true, Dusk?" Her eyes told off, that she was confused.

"Yes." I nodded.

Father looked at me then Mason, then back at me. "Is this what you want, Dusk?"

I looked over at Mason, who offered me a smile. I smiled and let out a small laugh. "Yes, very much."