~4~

Chapter Four- Liars

"Hey, Ann! Why haven't you called?" Parker's smile is as bright as the sun looks to a hungover person and twice as annoying. When I don't respond, her expression slips into one of concern.

"What's wrong? Is it something Cameron said?"

Finally recovering from the momentary shock of seeing my so called best friend out of the blue for the first time in a week, I fake a smile, mentally seething with rage. "Oh, actually, everything is perfect! I couldn't be happier with him."

"That's so great! I'm so happy for you!"

I pretend not to notice the obvious bitter tone in her voice. "Anyways, how's your boyfriend?"

She smiles stiffly and turns away, suddenly seeming extremely uninterested in the conversation. "Chase isn't my boyfriend, we've already talked about this."

I pout and put my hand on her shoulder. "Parker, you know you can tell me anything, like anything! He's found someone else, hasn't he?"

Parker's cheeks turn red. "No, he hasn't."

"Ugh, I wish your boyfriend could be as good as mine, but I guess not everyone can have him!" I hate how passive aggressive I'm being, and I hate this entire situation. Parker's eye twitches and I glance down at her tightly balled fists. How could I have not noticed how much she's been lying through her teeth? How long has this been going on?

"It's kind of shocking, considering everyone was rooting for you all as a couple," I continue, faking oblivion. "It's a shame he never actually asked you out. Well, unfortunately I have to take off, but I hope you find a better relationship, you sure deserve it!" I don't add that by "it" I mean a wrecking ball to the face.

~•~

Knock knock knock

"Who is it?"

"Who do you think? Let me in."

"I think you have the wrong house. Who is this again?"

"It's Chase!!! Let me in!"

"I'm not convinced. What's the password?"

"I swear if you don't open this door..."

"I think I'm going to go make myself some food." I smile smugly and go to the kitchen. After a while, I assume he's given up and roll my eyes. All bark and no bite.

Suddenly, I hear a thud in my living room. Grabbing my sandwich knife, I pause and listen silently.

"If you're a burglar, I'm giving you five seconds to get out of my house before I come in there. I've already called the police." I pause and wait for a response, but only the air conditioner can be heard.

"Five, four, three, two, one... Zero!"

I take a deep breath and stomp into the living room knife first. "Alright, I gave you a chance- What the heck?! How did you get in my house?!"

Chase grins. "Your window was unlocked."

"What do you want?"

He raises his eyebrows towards the knife, still gripped tightly in my hands. "Were you really going to use that knife? That wouldn't cut a sandwich."

I look down at it and frown. "Sure it would. This is my sandwich knife."

He shakes his head in amusement. "Of course. Anyway, your boyfriend confessed to me."

My mouth drops open. "What?"

"He texted me and said he's messed up, that he's been cheating on you with some girl but he still loves you and doesn't know what to do."

I take a step back and shake my head in disbelief. "He said that? But if he loved me he would have at least texted me... right?"

Chase smiles grimly. "He really wouldn't, sweetheart. He's a coward. Which is why he referred to my... to Parker, as 'some girl' instead of having some dignity and confessing to screwing her."

I sit down and glare at him. "They never... that didn't happen. They just kissed."

He laughs bitterly and sits next to me. "You can't honestly believe that. You just happened to see one meeting. Who knows how long this has been going on?"

The blood in my veins turns to ice and I cover myself with a blanket. "I don't want to believe that."

He sighs. "Neither do I, Ann. I'm sorry."

His phone vibrates and he glances at it. "That would be Cameron. 'Can you tell Ann that I love her and say I'm visiting my grandma?'" Chase punches the couch and clenches his teeth.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Parker doesn't deserve you. You'll find some one else."

He looks at me in bewilderment. "And what about you? Will you find someone else?"

I glance down in shame. Of course I won't. I'll never leave him, no matter what. I can't. I'm not strong enough.

"That's what I thought. Are you seriously considering staying with him?"

"I don't know, Chase. I still love him."

"Whatever."

I lay my head on his shoulder and watch him text back.

'No way, dude. You man up and talk to her yourself.'

~•~

The dresses have been lying in the back of my closet for a week, taunting me. Am I brave enough to actually wear one? My mom and 'dad' are away on a cruise that I was uninvited to after accidentally setting the microwave on fire, and I have no reason not to stay in all day today, so it would be the perfect time to wear one.

With my eyes squeezed shut, I randomly grab one and wrestle myself into it. How I do this with my eyes closed, I'll never know. I guess I'm just that talented.

It seems that my blinded self chose the black dress, the shortest out of the bunch but pretty nonetheless.

It seems a little fancy to wear just inside the house... should I go somewhere?

Aha!

Hey. Come pick me up, loser. I want to go eat.

You have a car. Drive yourself.

But then I'd be all alone. :( Also, I never got my drivers license.

Go ask your boyfriend.

Is someone jealous?

NO. I'll be there in twenty.

I smile to myself before it fades into a frown. Usually I would have texted Parker or Cameron... Oh, well. I shake my head and divert my attention to finding the matching shoes.