~19~

Chapter nineteen- do you trust me?

The music fades and only twenty one couples are left. Unfortunately, that includes Molly and Chase.

"The next song is All of Me," Joseph whispers.

"How do you know?"

"Rosie told me."

"Isn't that cheating?"

"No. She told me an hour before this all started in case she needed me to be a judge."

"Oh, okay."

Piano and violin play over the speakers and Joseph leads me by my back to the middle of the dance floor.

"Follow my actions exactly," he whispers.

"Lift your arms up and spin." I nod and do as he says. He catches me mid spin and dips me back.
"Arms back."

We dance a square around the floor and he spins me.
"You're doing great," he smiles at me. I smile back. If only he was Chase.

The more we dance the more trust I give Joseph, which makes us considerably better. Couples dancing is forty percent dancing and sixty percent trust, according to him. It also helps if your partner is really strong, so you know he won't drop you.

When the song ends, we're left with ten other couples.

"Great job to all who participated, and congratulations to those who have made it to the final round! We're going to take a slight five minute break, and when we get back, I'll explain the new rules! Have fun, everybody!"

New rules?

"Okay, I've got to take care of something, but I'll be back. Why don't you go talk to Rosie?"

"Okay," I nod. What business?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"I can't believe you're in the final round!!!"

"I know! Joseph should really become a professional dancer. It's amazing."

Rosie smiles and nods. "That's what he wants to do, but his confidence is way too low. He doesn't believe in himself. Sounds like someone I know."

I frown. "Who?"

"You, stupid!" She laughs.

"I have confidence!" I protest.

"No. If you had confidence, you wouldn't be looking at Chase every few seconds on the dance floor because you'd know that if he'd rather be with that parakeet, he's crazy."

Speaking of Chase, where is he? I haven't seen him in a while...

"He's over there, miss confidence," Rosie rolls her eyes.

"What's he doing talking to Joseph?"

"How should I know?"

Chase frowns and looks as if he's thinking, then nods. Joseph makes a ton of arm motions in the air and Chase watches him with a serious expression on his face. What the heck? Then, he grins and shakes Joseph's hand.

"You'd better get over there," Rosie warns. "The competition starts in three minutes and you need to go over choreography."

"Thanks, Rosie." I smile and walk over to Joseph.

"We should plan what we're going to do."

He agrees quickly and lays out the plan.

After a few minutes, my head is spinning with instructions, but I think I have it.

"Alright, couples, back to the dance floor! Please give our remaining dancers a round of applause!" Applause and cat calls fill the room.

"Alright, settle down. For the next round, we're going to eliminate eight couples by the end of the second chorus. The audience will then at the end of the song cast their votes on which of the two remaining couples should win! I hope you're ready, guys. No pressure!" The announcer laughs at her lame joke before quickly clearing her throat. "Begin when the song starts."

Joseph looks me in the eye and I nod.

He lifts me up and quickly 'drops' me to the ground. He lifts me back up and I go limp in his arms as he spins me around. He nods a 'get ready' at me before he lets go and catches my back with one arm. Quickly, he straightens me up and I turn away from him. Shake head, one two three. I bet I look ridiculous. He pulls me by my waist and spins me around.

"Relax," he whispers and I nod. Relax? Forget that, I'm terrified. Three couples have been eliminated so far, leaving eight left. Somehow, we're still dancing. I wonder if Chase and Molly are here... No, I remind myself. It doesn't matter.

'We're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again'

I'm getting dizzy from all the spinning and flying and catching and falling, but I have to continue.

Only five couples left.

Four.

Joseph no longer gives me tips or words of encouragement. His eyes are determined and it looks as if he's in another world. Every once in a while he snaps out of it and gives me a smile.

'You've been havin' real bad dreams, oh, oh' I fake hit his chest. One two.

'You used to lie so close to me, oh, oh' he brings me close and rocks me. One, two.

'There's nothing more than empty sheets
Between our love, our love
Oh, our love, our love' he lifts me over his head and spins. I try to look confident, but I'm terrified. Please don't drop me, Joseph.

He doesn't.

Three more standing and the second part of the chorus starts. One of us are going to be eliminated. I close my eyes and let Joseph spin and throw and catch me. Why am I so scared?

The last line of the chorus plays and I open my eyes. We made it! Along with Chase and Molly.

'Oh, tear ducts and rust
I'll fix it for us

We're collecting dust
But our love's enough'

"Do you trust me?" Joseph whispers.

"Of course."

"Good. Remember that."

'You're holding it in
You're pouring a drink

No nothing is as bad as it seems'

"Get ready."

'We'll come clean!'

Joseph throws me away from him and everything slows down. Because of his height, I'm about five feet off the ground, soaring to my death. Slowly, I feel myself falling and I prepare myself for a painful end.

"Gotcha," two hands catch my waist and lower me onto the ground. I spin around.

"Chase?"

"Hey, sweetheart." I glance over at Joseph and see him dancing with Molly.
"I'll always be there to catch you, Nessa."

I lean onto him, and we sway and spin until the piano fades away.