~16~

Chapter sixteen- party or die

Chase P.O.V

"Well, it looks like we're going shopping," I sigh. It's not that I don't like shopping, it's just- no, it is that I don't like shopping.

"What do you mean? I'll just wear one of my dresses."

"No, the owner is making the party a ball."

As if it isn't bad enough to be forced to go to a party.

"I don't have money for that kind of dress!"

"I'm paying."

"You don't have money, either."

"What are you guys talking about?" Emmie walks in and joins us on the couch.

"How I'm paying for her dress."

"What do you mean? The owner's already picked out dresses and suits for all the guests to wear. Apparently he has a very strict dress code."

"Oh." Nessa sighs. "Please tell me the dresses aren't ugly."

Emmie brightens. "Trust me, they aren't. They let you pick out your own, too. Here, let you show you mine."

They pull up a picture of a dress and I have to blink. The sparkles are almost blinding.

Vanessa squeals. "Oh, it's beautiful, Em!" Is she blind? That dress could serve as a flashlight.

"Come on, Chase! Let's go get our outfits."

"Take a left and you're there," Emmie calls as the door closes behind us. Is the 'staying home with a psycho maniac' option still available?

~•~

Purple. Everything is purple. The men all get the same black suit with a purple tie, but the room is filled with hundreds of different purple dresses.
This could take all day, I realize, heart sinking.

Nessa pulls me behind her as she searches the room for the perfect purple monstrosity. Seeing the excitement shining in her eyes, I relax a bit.

"What about this one?" I randomly pull a plain looking dress off the rack and quickly put it back.
"Never mind."

"What? Let me see it." She takes it in her hands and gives it a horrified once-over. "Why on earth would they put feathers there?"

Moving on.

"You know what? Here. Just take this entire rack into the dressing room and try them all on. There's got to be at least one good one in there."

She rolls her eyes at me. "They don't have dressing rooms."

"Then change right here! I'll make sure no one looks."

She huffs and takes the rack. "Fine."

"Really?" She's agreeing, for once?

"Just turn around and look out."

Luckily, we're behind a bunch of six feet tall clothing racks, so she's safe. Just to make sure, I roll seven racks together to make a shield for her.

"Shouldn't you wait outside the racks if you're going to make a barrier?"

"No, then you'd get caught."

"Whatever."

"Can I turn around now?"

"Hold on, I need to zip the dress up."

"Let me help you." I turn around and zip the hideous dress up.

"It's awful."

"It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't added the tie dye flowers."