~13~

Chapter 13- Barely Safe

Chase P.O.V

"Oh, no. Okay, Em, call an ambulance and get some help from people close by. I'll get the others, we'll be there soon." Dylan motions for me to get Chris and Luke. I nod and sprint off.

"Get up, someone's in trouble at the cliff."

Chris pales and grabs Luke as he runs to the car.

"Get off me, man, I'm right behind you!"

I follow them, mentally panicking. Please don't be Ann. Please don't be Ann.

"Okay. Love you, Em. See you soon." Dylan hangs up and stomps his foot to the gas.

"What's happening?!"

"One of the girls dared Ann to jump off a cliff."

"What?! Who?"

"Em wouldn't say, they were really scared. They said Ann hit the water very weirdly, and no one's been able to find her."

"Oh my gosh." I squeeze my eyes shut and lean back. Please let us get there in time.

After what must be a few minutes but feels like an eternity, we pull up on the beach below the cliff. It's completely vacant, no sign of the police or Em and the girls anywhere.

I grit my teeth and quickly weigh my options. I could stay here and wait for help, but it's been minutes already since Ann jumped and if we wait much longer, she'll be lost forever in the waves. My other option is to put my life on the line and attempt to wrestle with the large, hostile-looking waves on the off chance that I'll somehow find Ann in them. When it comes down to it, there's no question of what to do at all. I roll my sleeves up and dive into the choppy waves.

"Chase, no!" Someone screams, but I ignore them. If I die, I die after I save Ann, I instruct myself, ignoring the fire in my chest as I try and fail to avoid gulping down what seems like gallons of salty water.

"Ann! Ann, where are you?! Ann!!!" I force my eyes open underwater and search frantically for even a glimpse of something human.

Please, Lord. I know I haven't gone to church in years, but right now I need a miracle. Please. I'll never ask for another thing. Please. Save her.

I break through the surface of the waves and search the horizon.

Come on, Ann. Where are you?!

I almost miss it. A pale hand flings up out of the water before falling back under the water.

Yes!

I use all of my strength to pull myself towards her. Diving under the waves, I thrust my hands forward until they grasp onto her waist. New found adrenaline courses through my veins and I paddle upwards until I bring her up to meet the salty air.

"I got her!" I holler to the shore, so far away now. I have to get her there. Am I strong enough?

"Come on, Chase, do it for her." Energy I didn't know I had left surges through me and I take powerful, one-handed strokes until I've almost reached land.

Almost there... I look at Ann. I'm so exhausted, and I know I can't go any longer. Not even for her. The knowledge itself nearly kills me. I need her, I realize, before slipping into the darkness.

~•~

"What is taking those police so long? I swear, Luke, start the defibrillator already! It's not going to hurt you, there are people dying! Give it to me!"

"Can you hear me? Can you hear me?"

I groan and shake my head. Leave me alone to sleep.

"He's good, but he still has water in his lungs. Chris, switch with me so I can give Ann the defibrillator."

Ann? Did they say Ann?

"Clear, all clear!"

Nothing.

"Clear, all clear!"

Please save Ann, I pray before falling back into the black waves.

~•~

"I know, I was surprised too. She's the worst off out of the three."

Are they talking about Ann? I want to ask them what they're talking about, but I can't form the words.

"I know. I knew they were best friends, but still, she didn't even seem to think about it, she just jumped in after her."

"You didn't tell us that over the phone."

"It happened after. This is so scary, Dylan. Are they going to be okay?"

"Yeah. The doctor is coming in ten minutes to check on them."

"I feel so guilty."

"It wasn't your fault, sweets."

"I know."

~•~

"Wait, where are they taking her?"

"Parker needs to be admitted to the hospital immediately. She swallowed too much salt water."

"Why didn't they notice that before?! It's been over half an hour!"

~•~

"Chase? I know you're sleeping, man, but if you can hear this... Parker's in really bad shape. They said she should live, but she looks so bad... We're all really scared, Chase. Please wake up."

~•~

I blink slowly, trying to regain consciousness. Where am I? Everything is so blurry. Where's Ann? Please let her be okay...

~•~

"Hey. Wake up."

"Wake up! The doctor said you should be awake by now. Stop being lazy. Freaking wake up, Chase! It's been a day. Come get some food. Please?"

~•~

Finally. I can at least see now. Ann is right across from me on an old moss green couch. She looks so peaceful. Suddenly, her eyes flutter open and she stares straight at me.

We stare at each other for at least a full minute before she smiles softly at me.

"Hey, Chase," she mouths.

I smile back. "Hey," I say, frowning when I notice no noise coming out. Stupid salt, who decided to put it in the water anyways? I slowly sit up and try walking. Upon landing on my butt, I decide to crawl my way to the kitchen, no doubt looking like the most stupid idiot this side of the world has ever seen.

"Chase! You're up! Let me get you some food." Emmie rushes to the fridge and I frown. I don't want food, I need water.

"Water," I hoarsely whisper.

"I'll get you that too."

"And Ann."

"Okay. Go lie back down."

I nod and collapse back on the couch, proud of my efforts.