Chapter 28

When the patrol returned to camp, Crookedstar immediately leaped onto the TreeStump. He yowled, signaling the start of a clan meeting. Hopepaw settled beside Stormblaze and Featherstream. She suspected what would happen, but she couldn't assume.

The clan gathered around, curious and intrigued. Crookedstar sat tall and proud atop the TreeStump as he looked down upon his clan. Leopardfur sat at his side and Hopepaw met the golden-spotted she-cat's glare. Why did Leopardfur hate her so?

"Cats of RiverClan, today it is time for an apprentice to be made a warrior." Crookedstar beckoned Hopepaw forward and she walked forward with her head raised proudly. "This young she-cat came to RiverClan a fugitive with no place to go. She was lost at heart and inexperienced. But now she stands before you as a pure RiverClan cat. She's proved her loyalty time and time again in the service of RiverClan. Now it's time that she was named a warrior."

Crookedstar leaped down from the TreeStump so that he stood directly in front of Hopepaw. Her heart raced in anticipation. "Hopepaw, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and to defend this clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Hopepaw opened her mouth to answer but the words of the ceremony rang in her ears. Do you promise to defend this clan? If she promised and made this vow, she would be committing treason. But that's why she was here, right? RiverClan wasn't her clan, TigerClan was. She just needed to convince them that she was their warrior.

"I do," Hopepaw answered in confidence. What will my warrior name be? She wondered to herself.

"Hopepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Hopeflame in honor of your courage and your flame-colored coat," Crookedstar announced. He touched his nose to her forehead. "StarClan welcomes you as a warrior of RiverClan."

"Hopeflame! Hopeflame!" The cheers of RiverClan filled Hopeflame with a sense of belonging. Her eyes found Graystripe among the crowd. His eyes were filled with pride, and not just because he was her mentor. His pride was that of a father's.

She dipped her head respectfully to Crookedstar before padding over to where Graystripe sat with Stormblaze and Featherstream. Hopeflame had wanted to thank Graystripe for everything, but she couldn't in front of them. So she thanked him for being her mentor instead.

"I'm so proud of you, Hopeflame." Graystripe purred. "You've turned into an excellent warrior."

"Thank you, Graystripe, for everything." Hopeflame met his gaze, hoping to show him that she meant everything. For being her father, for believing in her when no one else would.

She turned to Stormblaze and Featherstream. Her brother stepped forward and nosed her cheek. Hopeflame froze but relaxed when she saw that Graystripe had moved on. But Featherstream was still here and seemed surprised at their affection.

"Is there something going on that I should know about?" Featherstream asked in amusement. Her whiskers twitched and her blue eyes gleamed.

"There is," Stormblaze answered before Hopeflame could. "But we're not ready to tell the clan yet."

Hopeflame nodded in agreement, leaning slightly into Stormblaze. "We just want to wait for the right time."

Featherstream squealed. "This is great! My brother and my best friend! You'll have beautiful kits together!"

Hopeflame nearly choked on the air she was breathing. Stormblaze jumped and nosed her fur. "Are you alright?"

She nodded, "Yes I'm fine, I just need some air."

Hopeflame raced out of camp and stopped just as she reached the trees. She doubled over and tried to catch her breath. It didn't matter what Tigerstar told her, she would not allow herself to have kits with Stormblaze. There was already enough problems with Featherstream expecting Owlpaw's.