Chapter 9: Bonding

"Izaya, why were you even at Shinra's house the other day. We could have avoided this entire thing if you weren't there," the monster asks.

It is two days since we got attached to each other. The sun is setting in the distance, casting a pinkish orange light through my giant windows. We are both sitting on the couch since he gets annoyed when I sit in my chair. Probably because he has to stand, lazy bum. Anyway, I figure I won't be able to do much work this week anyway. I'm not going to take clients in these circumstances. I'd look pitiful.

I grow annoyed at his question. Why must he stick his nose in my affairs? It doesn't concern him and we hate each other anyway. "Why were you there?" I ask. "We could have avoided the situation if you weren't there either."

"I asked you first. Plus, I was there first, so I had more of a right than you," he argues.

"You were there first? Now you just sound like a kid, Shizu-chan," I point out, continuing to ignore his initial question.

"Says the person who calls me 'Shizu-chan!' I hate that nickname anyway," he huffs.

"That's why I call you it, Shizu-chan," I smile brightly.

"Cut the crap," he mutters.

"Why, whatever do you mean?" I ask innocently.

"I can tell you aren't really happy. You think you're all that and a closed book, but you're more like a glass. You're really easy to see through and everyone can tell when you lie, so just show your true colors. You usually don't have a problem acting like an asshole anyway."

I stare wide-eyed at Shizu-chan. He just told me off. Shizu-chan told me off. The complete idiot that has no sense at all told me off. I cannot believe this. I can't accept this.

"What do you know?" I defend. "You're just a stupid monster that throws things when he's angry."

"Izaya!" He slams his fist on the coffee table, splitting it in two. I flinch, but wait for him to continue. I'm not quite sure why, but for once I'm actually drawn to something involved with him. "You're doing it right now. You're so concerned about your outward appearance and what society wants that you don't even know yourself. I'm not sure how this works because you try to act like a dick all the time, but you still try to act like you're having the time of your life even when you're miserable."

I am shocked by what he says. Am I really that transparent? I always figured nobody even cared enough to know how I feel. Why does it have to be him? Why does my enemy have to see all my flaws? I feel so...frustrated!

"Why?" Is all I can muster.

"These past two days I've seen how you act. Usually around me you act like an arrogant bastard, but it's like I've seen a different side to you. Have you realized we haven't gotten into any real fights while we've been chained?" He turns to face me, but I don't want to look at him. I continue to look forward.

"You just know there's no point in trying to hurt me. If you killed me, you'd have to be chained to a corpse for a week." I argue.

"No. I think everything I've known about you up to this point has been a lie. You probably act like you do because you're insecure about yourself. You try to act tough but you are fragile. One wrong move, and you break. You're a lot less quiet than I'd figure you to be, ticklish, and take, like, 10 different medicines each day."

"It's four, Shizu-chan," I correct him quietly.

"Whatever," he says. "Now are you going to tell me what they're for?"

I turn my head completely away from him. "Nope, not really."

"Answer me." He grabs me and makes me look in his direction.

"I still don't see why you care~" I complain, rolling my eyes and huffing.

"I care because there's a chance that you're a decent person."

"I'm a great person the way I am," I try to convince him. "I'm amazingly good-looking, forgiving, and I am happy."

"If you're so happy why do you meddle in other people's lives? Isn't your own life so amazing that you don't have time for other people?"

I frown. Why can't he just leave me alone? "Allergies and vitamins."

"What?"

"That's what I take everyday. Medicine for allergies and vitamins."

"That's only two," he says, "What are the other two?"

I bite the inside of my cheek. I don't really want to tell him, but he's the first person to actually care and want to understand me better. He can see that I'm completely different from how I act. He's right about most of it. I live off of pleasure. I meddle with other people's lives to grant myself momentary pleasure rather than long term happiness.

"Dieting pills."

"Why the heck do you take dieting pills? You're already super thin and rarely eat!"

"Don't judge me," I tell him. "Just be grateful I'm telling you anything."

"Okay, okay," he says," but we're gonna' work on that. What's the fourth?"

I pause. I've already told him a lot so, I don't have anything to lose. I think about lying, but conclude that would be useless. "Medicine for depression."

"You know," he tells me, "I like this Izaya a lot better."

XxXxXxXxXxXx

Okay, so I don't even know how this is. I feel pretty good about it, but I feel like this all happened so fast. Plus I feel like it's kind of out of character. If anyway has any ideas on how to make this more in character, or think that it's in character, please let me know so I can fix or keep it.

Bye, bye!

26-7-16