10. The Truth Comes Out

•~MARIE~•

We all stood in stunned silence in the alley just trying to grasp the complete and utter bombshell that had been dropped on us. There was not a sound to be heard except for distant traffic and the muffled bass of the music resonating through the bar's walls.

This silent reflection didn't last for long. As I stood there, the throbbing in my shoulder increasingly got worse until I couldn't help but lay my hand on my left shoulder, lean against the wall, and let out a painful groan. The adrenaline that had coursed through my body during our encounter with Adam had subdued some of the heat that now returned to spike through my shoulder.

"Marie, you okay?" asked Sam, his voice full of concern. Dean looked over at me as well.

"I'm just dandy," I grimaced as I pushed off the wall with my back and started to try and walk normally. However; when I tried to imitate my normal gait, extreme discomfort shot up my left arm and seemed to spread throughout my body. I stumbled and once again placed my hand over my shoulder, wincing in pain. 

"No, you're not. Come here," Dean commanded and motioned with his hand. But instead of having to wait for me to reach him, he just walked over to me himself. He inspected my injury and diagnosed me with a dislocated shoulder.

Sam came over to supervise as Dean proceeded to place a hand on my shoulder and grab my left wrist with his other.

"This is gonna hurt like a bitch," he confessed.

It did hurt extremely bad, but after getting my arm in the right position, my shoulder popped back into place and the pain all but disappeared.

"This is exactly why I didn't want you to come," Dean stated once I stepped back with a sigh of relief.

"Relax Dean, it's just a dislocated shoulder," I muttered, attempting to rotate my arm to get the kinks out of it.

"Yeah? Well, it could have been a whole lot worse."

"Hey, I'm not the only one who was injured. How's your wind pipe doing? Because it sounds like you just swallowed a frog."

Dean's face contorted into a slightly offended expression and he was about to come up with a retort, but a sound came from behind that made us turn around.

James had woken up. All three of us stared at him as he stood up and observed his surroundings. When he spotted his brother lying on the ground, he let out an inhuman noise and rushed to his side. His sobbing was audible even from where we stood; it was truly heartbreaking.

I slowly walked over to him with a heavy heart and but my hand on his back.

"What happened here wasn't your fault, James. It was Ad- I mean the demon's; though I have a feeling you know what he did to you?"

"It possessed me and forced me to kill my brother...I'm not stupid. I know what demons are."

"Yeah, Robert mentioned that. I'm very sorry about your brother. We did all that we could, but the demon was just too strong."

James picked up his head and wiped his eyes with his hand. The expression on his face was one that you become accustomed to when your job involves hunting the supernatural and comforting the victims of attacks such as these, and that is one of pure grief.

"Thank you, but I'd like for all of you to leave. I'm gonna call the cops and explain that I was on my way out of the bar and found my brother like this. I'll make it sound like he might've been mugged. You don't want to be around when they start searching the place."