Chapter 12

Harry sat alone in the tent. He had given up pacing and now sat, bouncing his knee up and down, while he fumbled with his hands.

His ears rung with the cheers and terrified shouts from the crowd as they watched the champions fight their dragons. It was all very terrifying.

Harry was a mess. Outside he looked perfectly normal. Like he always did in fact, just a little nervous but that was expected after all. But on the inside, he was a bomb waiting to explode.

His mind raced with unanswered questions. Who put his name in the Goblet? Why did they put his name in the Goblet? How was he going to get the egg? Sure, he had a small plan; to use his broom. But then what? How would he get past the dragon? What spells should he use?

But the mountain of questions only added to his nerves. He wished he had his three best friends by his side to battle with him. Selfish, Harry knew that. But he missed the comfort his friends brought him. Sure, they had their rough moments but they were still his best and only really true friends. He needed them.

Suddenly, the inevitable happened and Harry felt like he was about to pass out at any given moment.

"Three of our champions have now faced their dragons and so each one of them will proceed to the next task. And now our fourth and final contestant." Dumbledore's voice boomed through the arena.

Harry jumped at the sudden sound and bolted up. His legs felt like jelly and his heart felt as if it was going to burst out of his chest.

The ringing in his ears only got louder as the cheering erupted again.

He took a step forward, a wave of dizziness washed over him. He pushed it aside and made it outside the tent.

The sunlight blinded his vision making him squint. The cheering sounded ten times louder now he was caught in the middle of it. Harry could see the looming monstrosity of the dragon. The Hungarian Horntail. The beast he was about to fight.

He saw a glimmer of gold and he focused his green eyes on it, only to realize it was the golden egg. The only trouble was the dragon was guarding it.

Harry took in the rest of the small space. It was mostly dominated by huge rocks and boulders.

The Horntail seemed calm. It was lying down, its breathing slow. Harry took this to his advantage.

He took in a deep breath and ran for the egg. His determination and hope shattered into a million pieces as the dragon roared to life.

"Yep, definitely crazy." Robyn muttered from her seat in the stands. Herself and Hermione were at the edge of their seats.

The giant structure of the beast only seemed to get bigger as it lifted itself up. The earth seemed to shake at the simple movement. Harry gulped.

Panic coursed through him as the plan all too quickly backfired in his face.

Harry dived behind a rock, the crowd gasping as the Horntail aimed it's deadly fire at the rock Harry was behind. The fire hit the rock with force. Harry's breathing quickened as he saw the flames dancing around the rock.

The fire was slowly heating up the rock, burning Harry's back but he didn't move - he couldn't move unless he wanted to die. Something that was on the bottom of Harry's to-do-list.

"Your wand Harry! Use your wand!" Harry heard Hermione's voice from somewhere in the stands. It was faint but he heard it loud and clear.

Harry pulled out his wand, only just realising he had it as the fear had made him forget.