Chapter 3

Scarlet and Jack decided to walk back to Halloween Town, on the way there Jack spoke to Scarlet, "So Scarlet, what do you want to do for your birthday?" Scarlet only shrugged. Jack began to think, 'A surprise party does sound nice, oh I know!' Jack suddenly smiled big, "How about you and I go down to earth? We can just have a father and daughter night while your mother is getting her new stitches. Just you and I going out causing night terrors to everyone you choose, how does that sound?" Scarlet was thinking about before her smile became a bit bigger and she looked to Jack, nodding her head. "Perfect! Remember Scarlet, this isn't just Halloween, it's your birthday, and someday when you're older, you'll get to be the Pumpkin Queen!" Jack said proudly. Scarlet blinked once before she began to think, 'I wonder, maybe when it's my birthday, I would speak, no...maybe sing...oh what's the point, how am I ever going to speak to them?' Scarlet's eyes shown the emotion of defeat, but she still held her smile. Suddenly Scarlet had an idea, 'Maybe on my birthday, I can search for the thing I saw, I can just bring mother and father with and show them what I saw. Brilliant Scarlet brilliant! Wow I'm sounding just like my father.' Scarlet gave herself a nod before walking along with her father. Scarlet saw something in the corner of her eyes and looked to see Zero rushing over barking happily. Scarlet opened her arms out as Zero rushed to her, but instead being a normal ghost and going through Scarlet, she was able to hold him, since she's already dead to begin with. Scarlet examined Zero's nose closely, 'Can that really glow?' Scarlet tapped Zero's nose, only for it to light up. Scarlet's eyes widen a bit, and her smile became bigger. Scarlet patted Zero's head as he licked her face. Jack chuckled a bit while they were now back to Halloween Town. "Jack!" Someone shouted. Jack and Scarlet looked over to see the Mayor. "Why hello Mayor, what's the problem?" Jack asked. "Problem? There is no problem, the population for trick or treaters is higher than ever! And here's the best part, a town is having a get together for a Halloween Scary Story fest!" The Mayor said with a big smile. Jack smiled big, "That's excellent news Mayor! What do you say Scarlet, ready to get your scare on?" Scarlet nodded furiously, being able to scare humans is her one dream...or nightmare as people would say. Now going to be 16, she'd finally be able to, think of it as a sweet 16, but for ghouls. "It would be excellent help, now since your daughter will be 16. Is that what you are doing on your birthday?" The Mayor asked Scarlet. Scarlet nodded. 'That's not the only thing we'll be doing on your birthday.' Jack thought with a smile, "I wanted to make this Halloween special for Scarlet, so taking her to earth would be a big thing for her." "Well I remember when I was 16, I was able to take control of Halloween Town just for the day and night, and that's how I became mayor." The Mayor said proudly. Scarlet made a gesture that looked like she was silently giggling. Zero sniffed around a bit before barking. Scarlet looked at Zero before looking to see three ghouls who she really wasn't fond of. Lock, Shock, and Barrel, who were now young adults. Scarlet nudged Jack for his attention. Jack looked over and raised an eyebrow, if he had any that is, "Ah if it isn't Lock, Shock, and Barrel, and what brings you here?" The three looked at each other before Lock took a step forward, "There is something we need to discuss Jack, and it's very urgent." "We'd tell you right here, but that would probably not be the best idea." Shock said. Jack sighed a bit and looked to Scarlet. Scarlet only shrugged and made a shooing gesture as if telling to go and discuss. "Alright." Jack said looking back to the group of three. Jack followed Lock, Shock, and Barrel close to the gates of Halloween Town. The three turned to Jack, "Now, call us crazy, but we think that he might be coming back." Jack narrowed his eyes, "What makes you say that?" Barrel looked at two, in which they nodded. Barrel took his hand out, to show two dices, and a snake that slithered around it, hissing at Jack. Jack rolled his eyes, "That doesn't mean anything, I made sure that Oogie Boogie is permanently gone. He won't be coming back." "Believe what you want to believe Jack, but somethings up, and we know it." Lock said. "I will not be having this burden the town right now, it's almost Halloween, and my daughter's birthday, I will worry about it after. Don't even think about doing anything without my permission." Jack said, and with that, he walked away from the group. The three watched as Jack walked away. They suddenly smirked darkly and looked down at the two dice and snake, "Wouldn't dream of it Jack."