Prologue

It was the eleventh of June 2007 at Geelong High School. The rain was pounding on the windows like hail crashing on a car's bonnet. Tommie Griffin was sitting in his boring English class next to one of his best friends, Justin Melbourne.

Tommie was a tall, slender boy with hair blacker than the night sky, with eyes as blue as the deepest part of the Pacific Ocean. Although it took no real effort, Tommie always tried to look his best. His limbs were long and thin but suited his tall frame perfectly. He also had the most amazing smile. Tommie was a special boy; you see, he had a disability called Bulbar Palsy, leaving him unable to speak properly.

That didn't stop him however, for he was strong, one of the strongest people his friends knew.

Tommie always believed that there was someone out there in the world, less fortunate than he, so he pushed away all his sorrows and while thinking of those people, realised just how lucky he was.

They didn't have the water he had, or the same medical access as he did. When Tommie was younger he was shy and usually on his own. Over time he became confident and more social. Some of his friends would tell him to shut up, and enjoy life.

The disability wasn't the only thing that made Tommie special. He also had a special ability. He was an aero kinesis, which meant that he could control the wind. But ever unnatural ability comes with a price and for Tommie, that price was his life.