Chapter 21

-Percy-

Today was the day. The start of the last term of school.

The term of graduation.

Oh, man. As soon as I realised that looking at myself in the mirror as I brushed my teeth my stomach twisted. I'm not a kid anymore. Soon I'm gonna have to go to college and get a job and support myself. Results term.

I spat the toothpaste into the sink. I feel like I'm going to throw up.

"Ready, son?" Paul popped his head into the bathroom. "Last term!"

I smiled weakly. "Ready as I'll ever be."

Paul smiled at me sympathetically and gave me a thumbs up before leaving. I looked at myself in the mirror again.

Today is going to be kickass. I'm gonna wear my leather jacket and everything. I'm gonna face my ex girlfriend and tell her I'm in a relationship with a boy.

Okay, maybe not that last part. But I am going to face Annabeth. She can't avoid me forever.

-

I clutched the straps of my bag as I took a deep breath and walked through the main doors of school. My therapy session with Chiron was tomorrow, still at eleven. I didn't think I needed them anymore. Paul wasn't Gabe. Paul was the dad to my baby sister. He wouldn't hurt me, my mom or baby Blofis.

I felt like every single pair of eyes were on me. I hadn't ever worn anything like this to school before. 'This' being ripped jeans, a black v-neck and a leather jacket. I wasn't gonna wear it again. But today I felt I needed to, it was like my battle armour. Anything ripped, leather or black made me feel like I could take on the world.

I felt a hand clamp onto my shoulder.

"Sup, Jackson?" Grover smirked. He walked with my fast pace easily. "What's with the new outfit?"

"Annabeth and I broke up a few weeks ago-" I started lowly so nobody would hear.

"Oh, I'm sorry man." Grover squeezed my shoulder gently.

"-and I'm already with somebody else." I looked to the side and hoped he wouldn't react badly.

Grover's eyes widened. "No way, Perce! Who is she?"

I grimaced. "He."

"What? She's called He?" Grover gave me a strange look.

"No, he's a boy, man. Nico."

Grover's jaw fell slack. It took him a few attempts at moving his mouth again to get his words out, "Dude-!"

"Keep your voice down!" I said as I stopped at my locker.

"You're into guys, Jackson? Oh, man! I had no idea! What's it like? Is it any different to a girl?" Grover was way too excited. At least he didn't hate me.

I thought back to my...experience, with Leo. "No, it's not, actually."

"Dude," Grover grinned, "this is amazing. My best friend's got a boyfriend. A boyfr-"

"Grover!" I shushed him. "Don't shout it everywhere!"

"Sorry!" Grover chuckled and lowered his voice, "I'm just really happy for you, man."