Chapter 27

-Nico-

I was in my room packing for Will's when I first heard the doorbell ring.

"Dad, the door!" I shouted and carried on packing. Do I bring my white shirt or my grey one? The doorbell rang again. Why not just bring both?

"Dad!" I yelled. When there was no answer, I huffed and trudged down the stairs, opening the door to find a random guy standing on my porch. I arched an eyebrow.

He had pitch black hair, golden eyes and caramel skin. He was dressed in all black; black skinnies, black leather jacket, black shirt, black combats. Jeez, this guy really was already a ray of sunshine. Why was he on my doorstep?

"Uh, can I help you?" I asked.

The guy tilted his head to the side. "This is the di Angelo residence, right?" His voice was deep, yet shy.

"Yeah?" I tilted my head to the side. "What do you need?"

"Um, I'm here to see Hades di Angelo."

I nodded, turning around and shouting another "Dad!" before turning back to the guy and smiling apologetically. "Sorry, he's probably working."

"It's okay." The guy smiled back shakily. "So, uh, he's your dad?"

"Yeah?" My eyebrows pulled together lightly. "Why?"

The guy didn't get a chance to answer as my dad interrupted, joining me at the door.

"Hi! Sorry about that, work's hectic at the moment," Dad smiled, reaching out his hand. The guy shook it rather uncertainly.

"It's fine." He smiled that same shaky smile again. I was beginning to feel suspicious. Why was he nervous?

"So, what do you need?" Dad asked.

"Um, my name's Thanatos," The guy - Thanatos - waited, as if he was unsure of what my dad's reaction would be.

Dad's waited for a second, then smiled apologetically. "Uh, I...I don't-?"

"You don't have to know who I am." Thanatos sighed. "You left before I was born. Or rather, my mom made you leave when she dumped you for my...my stepdad."

-

I didn't end up going to Will's. I asked to take a rain check on the basis that I just found out I have an older brother.

We were sat on the couch in the living room, Dad and I on the three seater and Thanatos on the arm chair.

"So," Dad cleared his throat. "Why-Why have you decided to find me now?"

"Mom died, and my stepdad got kinda verbally abusive." Thanatos looked down. "Mom didn't tell me about you."

Dad looked guilty as he sighed softly. "I'm...I'm sorry. I'd have fought for custody if I'd have known I had you-"

"Don't." Thanatos shook his head. "It's okay. I...you didn't have a choice. I don't blame you."

Dad nodded. "How...how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Twenty one." Thanatos said softly. "I don't go to college, even though I want to. I don't have the money."

Four years older than me. My brother was four years older. I felt my heart beat faster. I wasn't the only boy anymore. But then again, I never really was.