C h a p t e r n i n e

Chapter nine

It was sunsets that taught that beauty sometimes only lasts for couple of moments,and it was sunrise that showed me that all it takes is patience to experience it all over again.

I woke up the next day by a sound coming from upstairs. There was always this sound of guitar and someone singing almost every other morning. It was pretty obvious that the person singing is our new neighbour who moved in two weeks ago. I never met this guy because I'd always find him pulling out of the driveway. Or most of the times he would have loud, obnoxious friends over. He always had a hoodie on and that's why I could never get a clear view of his face.

My parents wanted me to welcome him to our neighbourhood, but after seeing his dangerous looking friends, I decided I'd rather not.

"So my silence, so my silence won't be mistaken for peace.
Am I wrong for wanting us to make it?
Tell me all your lies because I just can't face it.
It's you"

His voice...

Damn.

Pulling the duvets tightly around my body, I let the melodious music lull me to sleep.

My eyes shot open again when the extremely unpleasant sound of my alarm clock echoed through my room. Yawning, I rubbed my eyes to diminish the blur that was surrounding me. But the sunlight that peaked right through my thin, cream-coloured curtains wasn't helping me whatsoever.

I threw the covers and went to the washroom for a quick shower. I didn't allow the thoughts of Harry to conquer my mind. I didn't want to overthink , especially when I knew its my worst habit. After changing my clothes , I opened my bedroom door and went downstairs. I could smell the aroma of muffins floating in the air.

Leaning against the counter was my mum. She had a worried expression on her face and she was aware of my presence but refused to look at me.

"What's wrong?" I walked towards her. She still didn't bother to look up at me. So I asked again,

"Mum?" When she looked up, I noticed her eyes were glossy. After seeing me, she finally broke down.

"Y-your dad...He..he" She spoke between sobs. I quickly wrapped my arms around her shoulders and rubbed her back in a soothing way. I let her cry on my shoulders until she could speak properly.

"Now tell me, what happened to dad?"

"He..he didn't come yet. After you went for your party, I-I was waiting for him, but he never showed up. I tried to call him many times Vicky , but his phone is off!" She silently cried on my shoulders.

"It's alright mum, he will be back. Don't be scared."

"No, I'm not scared. I'm worried, I really am. You really have no idea." She wiped her eyes with the tissue. The sound of oven rang through the kitchen. I watched her as she wore her baking gloves and pulled the tray out. After setting it on the counter, she went to the washroom. My dad has been acting weird since a few days but I assumed it was work stress.

I sat on the kitchen stool and pulled my phone out. I had two messages from Dylan informing me that he's coming over along with Sarah. I replied to him quickly before dialling my dad's number.