C h a p t e r s i x t e e n

Chapter sixteen

I'm like a rubberband until you pull too hard...I may snap and I move fast. But you won't see me fall apart...

We somehow escaped from school and ended up in the vacant forest. The crunching of dead leaves and whooshing of air was the only thing to be heard beside the chirping of birds. The sunlight peaked through the long branches of trees and fell on us making Harry's forehead glisten with sweat. The sky was taking an apricot tint and the clouds were rolling by.

"Where are you taking me?" I was out of breathe as I jogged behind Harry's long strides. The bright sun rays fell upon me making me squint my eyes. I had to use the back of my hand to cover my eyes.

"We're here." I moved my hand and let it fall limply by my side as I watched the surroundings. It was the same clearing, same big oak tree, same area I spent the half of my childhood in. A wave of nostalgia hit me, making my heart ache. Tears were forming but I sucked them back in before he could see.

"Why are we here?" He didn't answer me but placed his hand on my upper back and guided me to the tree. We sat under the shade on the grass, cool air embracing us. I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my cheek on it, facing away from him.

He brought his backpack along with him and a pair of shades, as if he somehow predicted this all to happen.

The silence of this forest almost calmed me but realisation hit me hard. I was sitting alone with Harry. If he tried to kill me again then there would be no one to save me. Was this some sort of a hoax? Panic flooded through me and I distanced myself from the cruel man. He noticed my state and furrowed his brows.

"What's wrong?" He reached out for me but I slapped his hands away.

So much for telling him not to touch me.

"Is this a trap? Do you want to try to kill me again?" I didn't sound weak, my voice was filled with confidence.

"Wha-no! I need to talk to you," Heaving a deep sigh, he closed the space between us.

"We're already talking." I snapped.

His mouth snapped into a tight, straight line. "Keep quiet and just listen to me." Rolling my eyes, I crossed my arms around my chest stubbornly.

"Don't ever do that again." His eyes were getting darker and fists were clenching.

"Just spill out whatever the hell you want," I spoke with a monotonous tone, too uninterested. Seconds passed by and minutes passed by. Not a word left his mouth. Drumming my fingers on my lap impatiently, I looked over at him.

 Drumming my fingers on my lap impatiently, I looked over at him