Ascension to the Sky

Clouds and more clouds, you were sick of them. Personally, you had always loved overcast days, but at the moment you had grown tired of them and it had only been five days. Part of the reason probably pertained to the constant threat of the shadow creature, but then again maybe it was because the ground scenery was unchanging. At least this was your thought process until you nearly ran into a stone wall.

Stopping yourself short, you stared at the wall in disbelief. There was actually something different in your field of vision. Could you finally escape these dismal plains? In excitement, you stepped back and found that the wall of stone was circular. Glancing upwards, you saw it extend into the cloud cover above. Was it a tower of some sorts? It had to be, meaning that there would be a door somewhere on the base; at least that's what you hoped for. Before you could advance anymore on your search, Tipora held her hand out in front of you. Resting your hands on your hips, you rolled your eyes at her action, but she only ignored you.

Proceeding closer to the stone wall, she traced her fingers across the wall, eventually forming an invisible flower design on the structure. Watching in curiosity, you saw the stones vanish, leaving an opening in the shape of a simple flower. She motioned for Rollta and you to follow her. Not seeing any reason to stay on the undistinguishable grassland, you went in after her. Once Rollta entered, the space closed, sealing the three of you in.

At first the area remained dark and you couldn't see anything, which was rather frustrating. It wasn't until you reached out and touched the interior wall that the room illuminated itself. Torches sprung to life, revealing a rather empty tower. A single spiral staircase, leading upwards, decorated the space. The lights flickered, casting shadows across the ground level. They climbed up the walls until they reached the uppermost part of the tower, though during their ascension they unveiled the broken staircase. A large gap prevented travelers from proceeding too far into the tower. This wouldn't stop you however, for you refused to go back outside. Besides the opening behind the three of you had closed into nonexistence.

"So what do we do?" you questioned aloud, hoping that one of your captors could answer you.

"Hmm, that is a good question, _____. I believe we need to go upwards," the green-eyed male responded.

"No kidding, I couldn't have figured that one out," you replied to the male sarcastically.

He merely grinned at you before glancing over at Tipora. She crossed her arms and tapped her foot, obviously growing impatient with him.

"Rollta, you've been in here before, so lead us out. I only know how to get in and I grow tired of your delay," the girl stated, now glaring at the male.

"Alright, alright, I'll try my best to remember, though you'll have to do something for me."

"And what would that be, idiot?" she asked, becoming more perturbed by the second.

Viewing the scene, you saw Rollta make his way over to the girl before grabbing her chin and lifting her face up. He smirked, expecting a kiss from the girl; he once again was pursuing his perverted antics. She swatted his hand away before smacking him with her umbrella.

"Tch, the next time you touch me I'll smack you where you're most sensitive. Now get us out, you perverted juggler."

"Fine, don't reward me," he muttered before huffing in a childish manner.

Personally, you couldn't tell if he was teasing the pastel-colored girl, or really desired an action of affection from her. He was quite unpredictable and his behavior really made no sense to you. Sometimes he was serious and at other times he acted like that. Why was that the case? In fact he only displayed more mature emotions when he was just with you, or Tipora was out of hearing range; it was indeed strange. Then again the twins were the definition of odd, but their personalities remained constant with the occasional exception of Diamond's outbursts. Thankfully, you only experienced those a few times.

"Here we are. I knew there would be a switch around here somewhere," Rollta announced, interrupting your train of thought.

Curious, you went over to where he was standing, but located no switch. What exactly was he referring to? When he began to reach towards the flaming torch, you instinctively grabbed his right arm, stopping him. Looking at him like he was crazy, which he probably was, you kept your grip on his arm.

"What do you think you're doing? You can't just place your hand into a burning torch," you exclaimed, eyeing the now laughing male suspiciously.

"Oh, just let him injure himself. The fool deserves such punishment," Tipora mumbled in the background, as she now leaned against the wall, twirling her umbrella in her hands.

Rollta just chuckled more at her comment before answering, "Don't trouble yourself _____. This flame happens to be an exception to the normal rules of nature."

Still giving him a questioning gaze, you slowly released your hold on him. Taking a step backwards, you knew that if he was wrong, he would be set aflame. Even though he was one of your kidnappers, you didn't want to see him submitted to such a horrendous fate. Waiting with a slight feeling of concern, you watched as he placed his hand into the flame. He didn't retract his hand from the heat, nor did he show any sign of pain. Instead, he gripped the top part of the torch and pressed downwards. The sound of a mechanism unlocking resonated through the tower before it was followed by stones shifting against each other.

Dust started to fall from above, causing you to notice the missing piece of the staircase reappearing. Soon the gap was filled while you coughed from the excessive dry powder. A proud grin stretched across the male's face, as he indicated for you two to go up the steps. With no hesitation, you complied and progressed upwards. In the beginning, you thought all was well, but when some time passed and you still hadn't reached the top, you knew that something was off. Tipora noticed this as well and halted her movement, glowering at Rollta, expecting him to know the answer to this predicament.

"Rollta, what's the meaning of this? Why haven't we gotten that far? We should've been at the topmost part of the tower by now."

"Hmm, now that you mention it ..." he began to say before tapping his right index finger against his chin.

Deciding that you might as well take a break, you sat down on one of the steps and waited for him to come up with an answer. While sitting, you scanned the area for any signs of getting out of here, but nothing revealed itself to you. Only stone upon stone greeted your (e/c) eyes, giving your irritation fuel.

"Ah, I know the explanation! The stairs past a certain point are merely an illusion; we've been walking in the same place probably for the past twenty minutes."

Face-palming, Tipora and you tried not to strangle the male, yet you couldn't help but think that he knew this information all along. He might have been just getting back at Tipora for her continual rude remarks. You just happened to be caught in the middle of their war. At least that could've been the explanation, but you weren't sure.

"Then what do we do," you inquired, preventing Tipora from making any more offensive comments.

"Something much more fun than walking, we jump."

Somehow you were expecting that answer, though you hoped that there would be another option. Seeing your obvious discomfort, Rollta went ahead and demonstrated. Before you could say anything, you saw him launch himself off of the stairs. Gravity took its opportunity to prove itself, causing the male to plunge downwards. Quickly standing up, you looked over the edge of the stairs with Tipora. To your surprise, he was completely and utterly gone. There was no sign of him ever being in the tower. Puzzled beyond belief, you looked over at Tipora to see if she had any knowledge about this.

"Don't look at me, for all I know he just killed himself," she spoke, showing no sign of worry in the slightest.

Not making any sense of this, you stared up the flight of stairs to see a familiar figure well above you. He placed his left index finger over his mouth, indicating for you to be silent. Understanding that he wanted to mess with Tipora for a little longer, you let a small smirk etch itself on your face. Not going to allow him all the fun, you stepped back before running forward and jumping off of the stone steps. Tipora yelled after you, wanting you to stop, but you paid her no attention. As your body fell through the air, you noticed that you now fell towards where Rollta was standing. Below him remained a bewildered Tipora, who bore a priceless expression. Landing next to the green-eyed male, the two of you watched her call out for you. Her worry was not directly aimed towards you, but rather she didn't want to displease her master.