Beyond the Threshold

The five of you were traveling down the hall and going towards the residing place of the King of Clovers. You could hear multiple doors close in the distance and froze, waiting to see if someone would come around the corner. No one did and you could hear distant footsteps running in the opposite direction. That was a good sign, but you had no time to be relieved as a nearby door opened.

A woman, clad in a grey-blue dress that went to her knees walked out. Simple white flats covered her feet while a white apron went over her dress. Her flaxen colored hair was held back by a grey-blue ribbon while her grey eyes displayed an air of victory and exhaustion. She evidently had just finished a dusting expedition and the evidence of such a feat was in her left hand, a duster.

At first she didn't notice any of you, but when her grey eyes looked up, she paled considerably and her eyes widened in fear. She took a few steps back and you saw where most of her fear was coming from. Her gaze wasn't on Fade, or you and especially not the Queen, since she was a ghost only you could see. Instead her eyes were on the brothers, which was understandable since they were the tallest out of the group and were covered in blood.

In a mouse-like voice, she stuttered out, "Who ... are ... you?"

Glancing over at Fade, you could tell that your companion didn't recognize the servant. She must have come into the castle after Fade left then. Looking back at the brothers, you noticed their hands resting over their weapons, ready to strike within a moment's notice. As for the Queen, she floated off to the side, waiting to see what you would do, however you could tell that she wished for you not to hurt the servant. Finding the Queen's wish reasonable, you slowly walked to closer to the girl, who was about 5'3.

"Look, we're not here to harm you. We just want to pass, since we have an appointment with the king. He should be expecting us," you stated, keeping your hands well away from your daggers to show that you intended no harm on her.

Clutching her duster, she trembled and replied, "I ... don't want ... to die, and if ... his majesty is ... expecting you ... then you may go forward."

Thanking her, you went on ahead, but kept an eye on her. Fade floated a little ahead of you, paying little attention to the servant girl. The Queen kept in pace with Fade, happy to be near her apprentice despite the fact that Fade couldn't see her. Concerning the brothers, they went forward, but stopped next to the girl. Halting your movement, you kept your gaze on the twins, making sure they didn't do anything unnecessary. Seeming to shrink back into the wall behind her, the servant girl clutched the duster closer to her chest, as though that would provide her some safety from the two men in front of her.

"Listen here, should you try to alert any of the guards we'll hunt you down and make sure you suffer," Diamond stated with his lips turning into a dark smile.

"Yes, do make sure that you don't cause us any trouble, or we'll have a lovely surprise for you," Heart added, his blue eyes shining with ill intent.

She nodded quickly before darting off down the hall away from the five of you. You sighed at the brothers' threat, but then again it probably was wise. None of you would want to deal with a group of guards before or after your fight with Umelius. On the other hand, they didn't have to terrify the girl so much. It wouldn't be surprising if she had nightmares for the next week or so after seeing the brothers' expressions. Personally, you were slightly unnerved yourself. They always did have a way of bearing demented expressions on their faces. At least this time they weren't directed at you. With the brothers turning to move again, they noticed you staring at them. Diamond bore his usual smile while Heart grinned. You slightly tensed when they came up to you quickly.

Heart rested his left hand on your head and ruffled your hair a bit before saying, "We should keep moving unless you want to enjoy the view a little longer."

Rolling your eyes at this, you swatted his hand away and turned on your heel. Catching up to Fade and the Queen, you ignored the quiet chuckles that escaped Heart's lips, as they trailed behind you. Continuing down the hall, you all made a left turn and went down another hall. As soon as you all took that turn, every one of you stopped again. There in front of you were six guards, who were chatting among themselves until their gazes turned on you.

Your hands quickly moved to your daggers, pulling them from their sheaths. You could feel the energy from your queen's weapons flow into your hands, as they glowed lightly. Amethysts pressed into the skin on your hands and you gripped harder, as the energy coursed through you more. The brothers unsheathed their sabers as well while Fade had her chain in her hands. All of the guards by now had their weapons out also. Three of the guards had short swords while two others had maces. Regarding the last one, they had a bow with a quiver of arrows on their back.

All at the once, the ten of you engaged in battle. Fade sent her chain at the archer, saving her magic for the battle with Umelius. This was also the reason why she didn't utilize her nature talents in the battle with the elites. Umelius wouldn't be easy to beat and she would need almost all of her magic if not all. The archer was quickly disarmed before the chain threw him into the wall and knocked him out. Both brothers were fighting off the three with the short swords, making sport of their exchange. They could probably beat the guards easily, but they were making it into a game. You on the other hand were fighting the two guards with the maces, though soon Fade joined in.

Dodging one of the guard's blows, you spun around him and stabbed one of your daggers into the back of his right hand before pulling it out swiftly. This caused the knight to drop his weapon. The impact between the tile and weapon resonated throughout the hall while you spun again and hit him hard in the back of the neck with the hilt of your dagger. Within moments he lay on the ground unconscious. Fade finished with her opponent as well and three of the guards were now unconscious. With regards to the guards the brothers were fighting, they were knocked out and the brothers were ready to kill them. Quickly, you ran over to them and stepped in front of them. Both brothers looked at you confused.

"There's no need for killing them; we're just here for Umelius. His guards are only following his orders. Besides they won't awake for at least an hour or two. We'll hopefully be finished fighting by then."

"You're no fun, my dear lady. If you wish them to be spared, then so be it," the blue-haired twin muttered before placing his weapon back in its sheath.

"You're too considerate," Diamond added, sheathing his weapon as well.

Glad that they listened to you, you uttered a 'thank you' before proceeding towards Umelius. Hopefully, no more guards would stand in your path. You didn't know how many times you could convince the brothers not to kill them. Luckily, you noticed that Fade stopped in front of a set of double doors. She opened them, unveiling a sort of sitting room. The marble tile continued into the room while the walls were painted with a golden hue. A love seat rested on each side of the square room. These had black cushions and were made of mahogany with gold veins running throughout the wood. Fade closed the doors behind the five of you, sealing them with a vine that required little magic. Again, she didn't want to use her magic yet, but it would be best to seal the doors.

Before any of you could open the next set of doors on the other side of the room, you noticed the Queen move to those doors first. She floated in front of them before turning to you. You could see the smallest smile on her face, but it was not one filled with happiness; it held sorrow, but also there was hope present.

"Queen of Clovers, even if you cannot spare him, just know that I'm thankful for you stopping him. Moreover, if this is the end result do not feel guilty about opening the gift I gave you and I thank you for coming here to put an end to this," she announced before bowing slightly to you.

Not a moment later, she went through the door and into the room beyond. You couldn't help, but let a small smile grace your lips. It was simple to see why Fade admired her mentor; she was truly kind despite all that she suffered. After she left the room, you went up to the doors and rested your hands on them. This was it; you had reached your destination and your fate awaited you beyond the doors. The brothers and Fade stood behind you, as you pulled the doors open.

Before you, a seemingly endless field of dark magenta poppies stood beautifully under the galaxy sky. Stars shined brightly above in the void of space while the image of a galaxy that resembled the Milky Way galaxy decorated the domed ceiling of the room as well. No doubt this sky was a product of magic and you secretly wished that you could create a similar illusion back in the brothers' castle.

In the center of the field of poppies, a single maple tree stood while a man rested his right hand against the trunk of the tree. Next to the man and tree, a magenta colored chair and a gold and silver harp rested in the field of poppies. On top of the chair, a small purple teddy bear, wearing a black dress and black bow on its right ear, sat. Sitting on the field of poppies next to the man was the Queen, who remained invisible to his eyes.

"Welcome, Queen of Clovers," the King of Clovers said in an even tone.