Death on the Queen

Upon entering the room, you were greeted by the soft light of the afternoon sun that came through the rectangular paned windows in the room. A soft pink paint covered the walls, which had floral patterned crown molding. An oil painting of the heavens decorated the ceiling while a light pink chandelier hung in the middle of the work of art.

Wooden flooring went across the ground while a light pink carpet lay over it. Golden frames, containing portraits of people past and scenes of utmost beauty, were secured to the walls. Bronze chairs upholstered in pale pink fabric accompanied a sofa of similar make. A fireplace of pink marble went against the left wall and on its mantle rested white porcelain vases filled with pink roses. Moreover, a mirror with a bronze outline lay on top. Likewise, a wooden side table sat next to the fireplace and held an off-white vase with pink hydrangeas.

Taking a seat on the sofa, you leaned back into the cushioned piece of furniture while Heart sat on the left of you and Diamond on the right. Fade rested herself upon a nearby chair, as the Queen of Diamonds and Geela seated themselves on another sofa in the room. The moment the Queen of Diamonds sat down; she didn't waste any time in starting the conversation you had been waiting for.

"As I'm sure you all know, the King of Clovers, or Umelius plans to take control of this world. I'm assuming that you all think he seeks such power because he merely wishes to dominate, but that is not the case; he desires to eradicate all the remaining Kings and Queens with the exception of his step-brother. The reason for this is because he demands repayment for the crime committed against him, or rather the crime against his late wife, the previous Queen of Spades and Fade's mentor." 

Your breath almost got caught in your throat at hearing this news. Looking over at the petite girl, you saw her gaze cast on the floor while her fists were clenched around the edges of her cloak. Glancing over at the brothers, who had their arms wrapped around your waist, which was somewhat uncomfortable, but at the same time comforting, you saw shocked expressions on their faces as well.

"Did you want to explain the horrible incident that occurred three hundred and eighty years ago, Fade?" the Queen of Diamonds asked while Geela played with her mother's long hair.

"No Clarencia, I can't bear to say the memory that has once again began to haunt me," she whispered, as her voice trembled.

"I understand. As Fade has expressed, this incident was truly tragic and caused Umelius to slowly lose his mind. Three hundred and eighty years ago, the previous Queen of Hearts and King of Diamonds, Yussia and Ximen, had resurrected the four Jacks through the art of necromancy. This magic was forbidden, for something always went wrong when it was practiced. In this case they were successful; however they didn't realize how terrible the Jacks were.

"For you see, the Jacks were sealed away due to them trying to overthrow the Kings and Queens. Each Jack was assigned to their according King and Queen, but the Jacks lived in their own territory. This system worked because in the past the Kings and Queens would have monthly meetings going over the current problems of the world. Thus conflict among the Kings and Queens was rare and if there was conflict it was only verbal.

"About eight hundred years ago, the Jacks decided to attack the Kings and Queens, for they knew they had a chance in winning. This was because the Jacks possessed the mastery of stealth; they could turn invisible during the night and controlled the element of darkness, making them the perfect assassins should the Kings and Queens ever have use for them. My mother, the previous Queen of Diamonds, was killed in this battle, but luckily none of the others died. The other rulers managed to kill the Jacks and seal their bodies in a now destroyed tomb."

"Why would our mother and father then wish to bring them back four hundred and twenty years later?" Diamond questioned, running his left fingers through your hair gently, but with that possessive quality of his.

"That is a simple answer; they desired the power of the Jacks and their territory. They wanted to take out those who knew of their forbidden practice, yet they didn't know who the persons were. Thus the Jacks would be perfect for attaining such information and then disposing of the individuals. Moreover, the land of the Jacks was known for its treasures and knowledge. The temptation of these items was too great for your parents and this brought pain to many people; however this temptation began six years to the incident.

"Before they were successful in bringing back the Jacks, they tested their art on the magical animals of this world until they got it right. These experiments attacked several towns, but they were luckily stopped every time with few causalities. No one at the time could link the living dead animals back to the Queen and King, though the previous Queen of Spades was growing suspicious. Sadly, she had proof of their plans too late, since Yussia and Ximen were friends of her husband and her; she didn't want to accuse her friends until she was certain of their dealings.

"Thus on the fateful day, Yussia and Ximen retreated to Valinquinia, hoping for their friends' help and relief from the Jacks, who once again were persistent in taking out the Kings and Queens. The Queen of Spades, though discovering their practice of necromancy, still agreed to stop the Jacks. Umelius was furious that they had brought the Jacks back, but eventually conceded his aid to them. Umelius's step-brother, Ximen's brother Zansin and I helped in the fight as well, once we were informed of the situation. I knew a horrible secret though, and the key to winning the battle.

"I was reluctant to reveal this information because of its cost. The reason the Queens and Kings previously were able to kill the Jacks was because only the element of light was required to beat them. This element was common among royals eight hundred years ago, but with time it became less abundant. Moreover, due to the Jacks being resurrected from the dead, the element of darkness was needed as well. As for this element, it is a rarity among Kings and Queens, since it was supposed to be only accessible to Jacks. When the Jacks were first killed, the power became a possibility for Kings and Queens, only that it would be an oddity. Somehow, the Queen of Spades was born with both the light and dark elements. I'm sure you understand what this means; only the Queen of Spades could win against the Jacks. Her normal attacks wouldn't work in this fight though; she would have to sacrifice herself."

"Why didn't she let me help her? I could've saved her; I could've kept her alive," Fade cut in, tears falling from her eyes, as the images of her fading mentor appeared before her.

"Fade, you would've died if you went with her into that final battle," Clarencia stated, giving the petite girl a reassuring smile.

"So the Queen of Spades really sacrificed herself then?" you asked, though you already knew the answer.

Clarencia turned her gaze back on you and nodded sadly before responding, "It was terrible. When I told her that she wouldn't survive the fight, she just gave me a gentle smile, even though I could see the tears in her eyes. She wasn't scared of death; she was terrified of seeing Umelius's grief stricken expression when he learned of the news. Thus she had me tell him after she left. That morning she lied to him, stating that she was merely going to check on their subjects; they shared their last kiss that dreadful morning. The Jacks were destroyed though, but Umelius was left heartbroken and slowly let his mind succumb to madness".

"How awful, but Queen of Diamonds, or Clarencia, why haven't you mentioned her name?" you asked, wondering why such information was lacking.

"Not only did the Queen of Spades suffer a horrendous fate, but the memory of her name and appearance was also lost. Only Umelius can remember those details, and even if he were to unveil them, everyone else would forget them a second later. Thus she remains only a shadow in my mind.

"After learning this, I assume that you all understand why Umelius wishes to wipe out the remaining Kings and Queens."

"Yes, he most likely feels like everyone betrayed him," Heart mentioned before continuing, "I know something similar might happen to me if I were to lose ____".

A light blush dashed across your cheeks before you glanced downward while Heart tightened his grip on you.

"I did betray him and my mentor. I let the individual, who taught me how to strengthen my magic and gave me a home when I had none, die before my very eyes. All I can see is her vanishing in a mixture of light and darkness. There was nothing left of her, not even her name or appearance remains in my mind. I don't deserve the title she gave me," Fade cried out, her whole body trembling before she ran out of the sitting room.

Wanting to go after her, you found that you couldn't, for you discovered that the brothers still had their grip on you. You wanted to comfort her, but she probably needed some time to herself. Having experienced such a loss would affect anyone greatly, though you were surprised to learn that Yussia and Ximen were the brothers' parents. Clearly, they had some explaining to do themselves. Moreover, how would you stop Umelius? So much had been explained, yet there was still so much more. This would be a long afternoon and night.