A Seemingly Long Road

Hot, it was so horribly hot, as you traveled down the canyon. It felt as though the sun would never leave you alone. Whenever, you went to take a brief rest under the shadows of the rocks, the shadows always managed to disappear within a few moments. You were at the point where you just wanted to crawl across the ground, since your energy was lacking.

Nourishment was harder to come by than you expected, so much so that your optimism depleted within two days. Water was a rarity and only dripped from some rocks here and there. Never could you find the source, leaving you to enjoy those few drops. As for food, you had only managed to kill one bird with your daggers. Despite the fact that you had a sack of protein in your hands, you didn't exactly have any firewood to cook it, meaning you spent almost an hour gathering enough grass to burn on the surface of a rock. Before you could eat it however, you had to use one of your daggers and skin the poor beast. Your work was not anything to be proud of, but it was enough to get you some source of food for a bit.

At the moment though, you hadn't been successful in getting any more food, or water. Only the ravenous sun kept you company, as you struggled to put one foot in front of the other. These conditions were quite foreign to you and made the games that you played with the brothers look easy. Sure in the first few games you played with them, you had a monster chasing after you, but at least the sun wasn't burning into your back. Furthermore, there was food, water and other delightful amenities on the other side of those games. In fact lying in a plush bed sounded absolutely wonderful, though looking around you such an item appeared unlikely to stumble upon.

Wiping some sweat from your brow, you went towards a rock shelter where shade was dominant. Resting against one of the rocks, you closed your eyes and hoped that the area would remain covered in shadows for a bit longer. You were almost asleep before the sound of a bird flapping its wings caught your attention. Popping your eyes open, you stared ahead, catching sight of the creature. Following its slow movement carefully, you gripped one of your daggers.

At last the winged beast halted its movement before pecking at the ground. Seizing this moment, you quietly approached the small animal before lifting the dagger in your right hand upward. Bringing it downward, you let it plunge into the bird. Grabbing the bird by the neck, you picked it off of the ground and carried it back to your shade covered retreat. With some more food in your grasp, you proceeded with the process you had managed the other day.

Your work remained uninterrupted for awhile and personally you expected it to stay that way, since you never encountered any other creature besides the excess of birds in the area. Thus when you were just getting the fire ready, you didn't hear the sound in the distance. Moreover, the combined heat of the new crackling fire and the sun caused your mind to think little of anything else. Likewise, you knew that having a fire in the middle of this heat was not the smartest of things, but then again you were hungry and wanted food.

It wasn't until something louder than the crackling of the fire caught your attention. Concerned at this new noise, you lifted your head and examined your surroundings. First, you looked left and then right, repeating this process several times, but you never saw anything. Unbeknownst to you, the being was watching you from a rock ledge that wasn't in your field of vision, since you were at ground level. Its piercing purple eyes stared with intrigue while fur completely white reflected the sunlight. A long tail swished back and forth behind it before it licked its front paws. When it saw that you turned your attention back to the fire in front of you, it would've smirked if it could.

Stretching itself, the beast stood on its four paws and started to jump down the rocks. It had been awhile since it saw anything besides birds moving about these parts. Having new company would be welcome, if it proved worthy; otherwise it would make a good snack.

Nose twitching at the smell of the cooking bird, it almost couldn't help itself. The creature wanted to leap forward and sink its jaws into the plump cooked animal, though it wouldn't give itself away just yet. It was in fact surprised that you hadn't spotted or even sensed its presence. Thus it figured that the heat of the land was getting to you, for it troubled most. Luckily, for the creature its delightful pelt not only reflected the sun, but kept it from feeling any heat on itself at all. This was greatly beneficial, for the beast remained always cool, never having to be submitted to the effects of the tortuous sun.

Sitting down only a few feet away from you and hiding slightly behind a rock, it tilted its head, wondering if it had been mistaken about seeing you before. It kept its gaze fixed on you longer, searching through its memory banks. Its memory was packed with vial after vial of information due to its long life span, for it had watched the canyon for over six hundred years. Something about your hair appeared familiar and your eyes also heightened its interest, though it questioned why you were covered in some dark looking substance. They resembled the same hue as a man that once came here with a woman and that woman bore your hair color. Were you perhaps their daughter?

Going around the rock and coming near you with silence, it went behind you before its tail came into your line of vision. Seeing this, you jumped up in fright and almost hit your head on the rock above you. Slowly, you turned around and widened your eyes at the creature, or rather lioness. Bright purple eyes blinked at you curiously while its tail went back and forth. You on the other hand were frozen with fear while a cooked bird sat on your dagger. Not knowing what else to do, you held the bird out to the female lion, hoping it would take it and go away.

You could've tried and attacked it, but frankly in your overheated state that didn't seem like the best of options. Thus with the bird out in front of you, the animal analyzed it, but soon its eyes stared at the dagger. A glow almost unnoticeable radiated off of the weapon, indicating that it wasn't any normal dagger. Intrigued, it swatted the dagger and bird away from you before pawing just the dagger over to itself.

Hand now gripping your other dagger tightly, you watched as it turned the dagger around and moved its face closer to it. It sniffed at the dagger while its eyes traveled to your hand that still had a weapon in it. A gleam crossed its eyes. Before you could do anything, it quickly disarmed you and pulled the dagger over to the other one. You were now defenseless and the lioness couldn't be happier. Knowing that these daggers were queen's weapons, it also understood your title and your position in this world.

"It's an honor to have a queen among my presence. I've never been granted such a luxury, though that doesn't give you the right to trespass onto my territory and into my canyon. Thinking you can eat my food and take shelter without even proving yourself worthy. You truly need to work on your manners, my dear."

Shock laced your face while you just stared at the animal. How did it just speak to you; it didn't even move its mouth. Not knowing what to say or do, you backed even more away from the beast. At the moment, you couldn't get your weapons, or you might lose an arm in the process.

"I don't understand, how are you speaking to me? What kind of lioness are you?" you managed to question, as your hands trembled slightly.

"Ah, I'm merely communicating to you through our minds, but please don't classify me by such terms. I'm a guardian of this canyon and when I come across something new, I intend to test it. It's interesting though to see a queen show such fear. I digress though, so let me test you by mere combat."

How on earth were you supposed to fight a magical creature with no weapons? Its tail swept through the air more rapidly while it lowered its body closer to the ground, indicating that it was ready to pounce. Knowing that you had little time to act, you rolled out of the way just in time while the lioness landed on the ground where you had just been. Not only had your meal now been ruined, but now you had a creature trying to test/kill you.

Running low on energy, you hastily rolled again, as the lioness attempted to pounce on you. Barely standing, you waited for the creature to make its move once more, as you worked your way closer to your daggers. This time though, when you went to dodge the animal swiped at your right leg. The skin tore and you went tumbling to the ground in pain. Glancing quickly at your limb, you saw a thin trail of blood going down it, yet it hurt immensely. Hoisting yourself back up, you were met immediately by the creature.

Pinning you to the grass covered earth, you struggled underneath it. Its glowing purple eyes analyzed your form while its warm breath went against your face. The smell of blueberries filled your nostrils, but that barely caught your attention, as the lioness licked its chops. What were you to do? Having little to no other options, you brought your head up and hit against the lioness's own. This caused the beast to release its hold on you somewhat, giving you the chance to push it off of you. Exhausted, you stood and caught your breath before making a quick dash for your daggers. You had just enough time to grab a hold of one before the beast jumped at you again. With your dagger going across its fur, you created some distance between the two of you. No sound of pain escaped the creatures' mouth; it only looked back at you with that certain gleam in its eyes. Time passed, as you two just looked at the other. Frankly, you just hoped that your attack had done some significant damage.