Observer's Benefit

Pushing a few stray strands of hair behind her right ear, the girl climbed down the pine tree branches one at a time, careful not to alert you. At last she saw the girl, who she was waiting for. Personally, she expected you to have a different appearance, or that the image at home had lied to her. You just looked too normal; previous queens of clovers were never normal. For instance, the one before you had taken to sacrifice individuals, so that she could conquer a foreign world. Moreover, Chroma had even murdered her own mother to gain the power of a queen. Chroma's aunt, the Queen of Clovers before her mother, was no better. She had killed a queen and king along with the rulers' spouses, leaving their children parentless.

The girl could go on with the history concerning that of past queens of clovers and each had blood on their hands. You weren't exempted from this either, for you had taken Chroma's life, though in your case it was out of self-defense and to defend another world. According to her mother, you wouldn't turn out like the others, for you had the blood of aces in your veins.

From her mother's countless lessons, she had learned the history of the aces. They were known for their undying kindness and peaceful nature, however they could quickly turn into a deadly force if required to do so. Their homes were in the far reaches of the world, each keeping to their own devices; however they were rarely ever home due to their constant travels across different worlds. Jokers and other creatures in the world longed for their power and thus they always had guards. The number cards performed such a task, loyal to the aces' every command, yet even this immense force of guards couldn't stop the jokers and their forces of terrible beasts. At the end of the struggle the jokers and numbers were wiped from existence, all heirs also dead.

There were only a few select others that had attained such knowledge about the previous card members that were now gone. Jokers, Jacks, twos, threes, all of them once lived in this world, but with each passing century they dwindled in numbers. Only kings and queens remained, for the others all had been possessed by desires or killed by the ones following their dark obsessions. It was truly amazing that the kings and queens had survived at all through the turmoil of the past centuries.

Now at the bottom of the tree, she watched as you took another bite from your fish while the guardian lay asleep next to you. It was amazing to think that the last ace was only several paces away from her. Her mother was even surprised to learn that there was still an ace in existence and she happened to also be the new Queen of Clovers. Such information not even the King of Clovers possessed, which would definitely be beneficial. Her eyes beaming with excitement, she bolted off in the southern direction, for she had to send her mother the good news.

It was at the sound of running footsteps that you looked behind you once more. Catching just the slightest of glances at a dash of purple fabric, you instantly stood to your feet, now fully alert. Eating the last bite of your fish, you put out the fire and hurriedly woke up the guardian. Her purple eyes glanced up at you tiredly, but seeing the serious expression on your face she pushed away the tiredness in her eyes.

"What's happened, my dear?"

"Something was watching us. I think it was person, since I saw what looked like a purple dress going past in the trees," you stated, pointing in the proper direction.

Standing on all four paws the guardian nodded and started to jog off before signaling for you to follow her. With no hesitation present, you went after her until the both of you sprinted in the direction that you saw the piece of fabric disappear. It wasn't long though until both of you stopped. The guardian smelled the ground, trying to catch a peculiar scent. You waited for her to discover anything, finding yourself tapping your foot in the process. Soon though, she picked up a scent and went running off. Seeing this, you took off running as well.

Sadly, it wasn't long though before the two of you had lost the individual's trail. Catching your breath, you rested the palms of your hands on your knees until you just ended up sitting down on the ground. Frustrated at losing the individual, you huffed out a breath of annoyance. The guardian was irritated as well, for whoever was watching the both of you had hidden their tracks well. On the other hand noticing this detail, the lioness had a theory as to who was observing the both of you. Hopefully, they were right on that theory, for then no trouble would come from this. If she was wrong, she didn't want to know who could be hiding in the trees. Resting herself, she put her right front paw on your left shoulder to reassure you.

"Don't worry my dear, I won't let any harm come to you. We'll figure out who they were."

"I hope so because I would rather not wake up dead," you muttered, still searching the surrounding pines.

Had Tipora already discovered Rollta's trickery? If so, was she just tormenting you? Considering this though, it didn't make much sense. Why would she hide in the trees rather than just attack you? Then again you did have the guardian next to you, so it would be idiotic of her if she were to directly attack you. Resting on your back, you placed your hands behind your head and just closed your eyes. You had enough of this. Why couldn't you just have one peaceful day in all this chaos?

"I suppose that is a good idea, my dear. Just wait for them to come back; we'll save energy that way," the guardian uttered, looking at your relaxed position.

"That makes sense, but I'm collecting no more firewood, especially since it is getting dark."

Letting out a purr of amusement, the lioness merely nodded and slept next to you.

~~~~~~~~~~

Reaching the river bank, the girl grabbed her paper crane that rested within the small boat. She kissed the head of the crane and whispered her message to the item. After finishing her statement, life sprung into the paper and suddenly the bird's wings began to flap. Purple paper flitted into the air, going higher and higher with each beating of the wings. Soon it was out of the girl's sight and now all she had to do was wait.

Likely to receive her mother's reply by nightfall, the small girl climbed into her boat that was tied to the bank. Pulling a black plush blanket over her petite form, she curled up in the boat and let sleep take over her. It had been awhile, since she had a decent sleep, for her mother wanted her to keep constant watch for you. If one were to pass the child they would think her a lost child, but her innocence was quite deceiving, for she possessed knowledge that many lacked.

Evening rolled in and soon a crane was poking its beak into the girl's cheek. Opening her eyelids, she smiled up at the paper bird before letting it rest in the palms of her hands. It relayed the message before turning lifeless. The girl set the bird back on the base of the boat before climbing out. Leaving her blanket behind, she went back into the forest to retrieve you.

Her light footsteps couldn't be heard over the sounds of crickets, her skips weren't even noticed by the nocturnal animals that lurked in the darkness. She was a ghost that could only be seen if she wanted to, for she had mastered the art of stealth. It was amazing how much she learned at such a young age; her mother taught her well and she was proud to be her daughter.

Halting her movement when she saw two forms only a few feet away from her, she quietly walked over to them. It had been awhile since she greeted the guardian properly. Thus she went over to the large feline and rested her small hand on its head. Rubbing lightly, the girl caused the cat's eyes to open slowly. Purple eyes glanced up at the child before the cat's eyes softened. Letting the faintest of smiles grace her face, the girl rubbed the cat's ears, earning a purr from the guardian. This sound awakened you and you almost jumped at seeing the child.

Shoulder length light purple hair was pulled back into a ponytail while bright orange eyes blinked at you. A lilac dress covered the girl's form while white lace-up knee-high boots covered her feet. Orange laces wrapped up the boots. An orange butterfly clip rested atop her ponytail.

"What ... who are you? Were you the one watching us?" you questioned, resting your hands over your daggers; you wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating a child in this world, since she could very well be older than you.

"I'm the one who is going to take you to mother. She very much wants to see you Queen of Clovers and I'm sure you'll find her information valuable."

"What if I don't want to come?"

"My dear, this child will do you no harm. Her mother wishes to help. I suspected that she was watching us when you mentioned purple fabric to me," the lioness stated, stretching out her limbs.

"Why, who is she?"

"The daughter of the Queen of Diamonds," replied the guardian, eyes gleaming when she saw the shocked look in your eyes.