Between the Abyss

"Well I don't know about you, but I can't perform such an act Rollta."

He shrugged his shoulders, but before he could reply Tipora cut him off, stating, "We're not going to be walking on air. He's just trying to mess with you. Look closely and you'll see what we'll be crossing on."

Seeing Tipora point towards a point between two of the towers, you saw a thin string going across them. It was near invisible if one didn't examine the area close enough. Then again how were you supposed to walk on that thing? You had never stepped on a tightrope before and frankly you never wanted to, yet here you had to go on one that rested well above the ground. Besides how were you even going to reach the tightrope? There was no clear way to climb the tower. At least that's what you thought until you saw Tipora swinging from one of the metal-workings in the tower. The bottom of her umbrella was attached to a metal pole above the sundial, allowing her to swing herself back and forth. Not a moment later, she had swung herself towards the spiral top of the tower. Utilizing her umbrella, she hooked herself onto one of the spirals. Climbing up her umbrella, she pulled herself onto the thin ledge of the top.

Since you didn't have an umbrella of your own, you couldn't even try a similar attempt. As Tipora tapped her foot impatiently at the top, you tried to think of a way to get up there. Your eyes landing on the sundial, you stepped onto it and reached upwards, hoping to grab one of the metal railings. To your disappointment they were just out of your reach. Huffing in frustration, you soon felt yourself being lifted into the air. Looking downwards, you saw Rollta gripping your waist, holding you higher into the air. Thanking him, you gripped the railing and pulled yourself up more. Balancing on the railing, you grasped another metal beam and another until you were at the top. Carefully standing next to Tipora on the thin ledge, you looked down to see Rollta removing something from one of his pockets.

What appeared to be some form of putty, you watched as the male stretched the substance out before swinging part of it upwards like he had a slingshot in his hand. When the end of the putty hit one of the metal spirals, it threw him into the air and flung him to the top of the tower. Landing perfectly on the ledge with you two, he grinned and placed the putty back into his pocket.

With all three of you now standing on the edge of the tower, you cast your gaze out towards the string that ran across the air. Your hands trembled lightly and the thought of falling into the abyss pervaded your mind. It would be so easy to lose balance and plummet back to the ground below. Such an outcome wasn't desirable, yet it was the likeliest of things to happen. While worry troubled you, you noticed that Tipora had already progressed onto the tightrope.

Her umbrella opened and she simply walked across the tightrope, making it seem as the easiest thing in the world. She obviously practiced this task back in Valinquinia and it now made sense as to why she carried an umbrella with her everywhere. It wasn't only a weapon, but a part of her performance. Thus she reached the second tower in no time, signaling for you two to follow. Rollta motioned for you to step onto the rope and you shook your head. Maybe, just maybe there was another way to cross to the next tower.

"_____, it's easier than it looks. Just keep your balance and you'll be fine."

"Sure, it's just that easy; I disagree. That's like giving someone a textbook in a foreign language and expecting them to read it with no previous exposure to the language," you countered, holding your feet firm on the ledge.

"Look we won't let you fall into the clouds."

Narrowing your eyes at him before turning your attention to the rope, you sighed and slowly placed your right foot onto the thread. Keeping yourself from staring at the long drop, you took another step forward and then another. Now completely on the string, you bit the inside of your left cheek, preventing yourself from trembling in fear. Holding your arms out to the side, you prevented yourself from leaning in one direction too much. A quarter of the way and then half of the way, you had made it that far and now you only had another half to go.

The sun had now set more and the coloration of the sky had turned to a reddish-orange hue while the sky overhead was a dark purplish-blue. A shooting star went by overhead, but you didn't pay too much attention to this, nor did you even see the star passing. You were too focused on maintaining your balance. Having just passed the halfway point, you kept thinking positively, knowing that the distance was decreasing.

It wasn't until you stood upon the second tower that you let out a sigh of utter relief. Rollta then walked onto the tightrope and moved rather quickly across it, though he lacked the grace of Tipora. In fact he almost fallen several times, however you felt like such movements were on purpose. This assumption was true due to the fact that Rollta found your concerned facial expressions amusing.

Despite the fact that you had reached the next tower, you couldn't celebrate, for there was still another tower in the distance and then you had to go towards the mountain range. Crossing a tightrope once was enough for you, but now you to walk on two more. It wasn't hard to see the dread that painted your face. Tipora proceeding ahead once again stood upon the next tower within a few moments, twirling her umbrella in her hands. Happiness danced in her grey eyes, either because of the tightrope, or due to the fact that she got to witness your torment. Then again it could relate to both reasons.

Sending a glare in her direction, you stepped onto the rope and carefully made your way across. Like the first time, you moved slowly, not desiring to fall. The only difference this time was when you hit the halfway point; you were greeted by a lovely wind that swept over the expanse of air. This small breeze happened to affect your balance in such a way that you leaned too much to the left. Another shooting star went across the reddish-orange landscape while your entire body tensed. Time appeared to slow down, while your (e/c) eyes widened considerably. What happened to 'we won't let you fall into the clouds'?

As you hit the air, you instinctively reached out and grabbed hold of the string with your right hand. It seemed to cut into your hand and you felt the urge to let go because of the sudden pain. You knew though to hang on; otherwise certain death would await you at the bottom of those clouds. During this incident, feet hurriedly ran across the string. A hand grasped yours before flinging you into the air, causing you to emit a shrill cry of surprise. The sound pierced the atmosphere until it became silent, as safety presented itself to you.

Managing to balance on the thread, Rollta kept a firm grip on you and started to walk the rest of the way. How he was able to sprint across the thin lifeline was beyond you, but you were thankful for his quick reaction. Normally, you would've protested against the male carrying you bridal style, however the current situation called for it. You didn't want to set another foot on that rope, for fear of falling again. Thus you instinctively gripped onto his coat, refusing to descend into the reddish-orange abyss.

"Thank you," you muttered before the two of you reached the third tower.

"You're welcome. That would've been quite the fall. Luckily, I was there," he said, finishing with a playful tone.

Rolling your eyes at his comment, you answered, "Don't let it get to your head."

Setting you down on the solid ground, you let your body relax itself once more. Never had a stone floor looked so appealing. The sun in the background was only getting lower and there was still one more string to cross and it was the longest. Glancing out at it, you felt your vision grow slightly dizzy and a terrible feeling fill the pit of your stomach. Ready to go further, Tipora was about to step onto the rope, confidence radiating off of her. Rollta rested his left hand on her right shoulder and pulled her back, shaking his head in the process.

"We should rest here for the evening and go across in the morning."

"What!? Why? I can cross that thing in an hour if not less. We don't have to worry about the Queen of Clovers and her slow pace; you can just carry her across," the short girl argued.

Hearing this, you twitched your eyebrow slightly at the rude remark and were about to say something in return, but Rollta beat you to it.

"Listen Tipora, she's not a master tightrope walker, so for her condition, she did excellent. It's not her fault a breeze came by and upset her balance. Furthermore, we need to stop for the night because of the creatures that lurk in these parts. They only come out at such times and crossing a tightrope while dealing with them would not be ideal."

"Fine, but if our master becomes angered by our delay it will be on you."

Going over to one of the walls, she sat down and leaned against it, clearly unhappy about the break. You on other hand were grateful for it, though you knew that tomorrow you would have to journey on that horrendous string. Finding your own spot against the wall, you made yourself comfortable. Rollta on the other hand went over to the trapdoor in the tower and opened it, closing it after him. A few moments later he returned with food and water, permitting the three of you to a decent meal for the night.