Finish in the Wind

You wanted to utilize the ability of your weapon and finish this battle, but Umelius noticed the glow as well. He didn't exactly know what it meant, but he wasn't going to find out. Thus he continued to attack with a quick ferocity, especially once he retrieved his halberd. On your end, you were getting exhausted, but you did your best not to show it. Frankly though, you didn't how much longer you could this keep this up. Your blades clashed continuously and on multiple occasions you had to dodge his various magic attacks. Wind gusts and bright bursts of light were common and becoming irritating.

Every time you attempted to release the energy stored up in your sword, he seemingly came flying at you. Dodge rolls were a frequent tactic of yours, but how many more could you do before your own energy ran out. Even though the sword's glow never died, you weren't built the same. Your energy was depleting fast and Umelius was acting as though this was just the beginning of the fight.

Maybe it was because he was so determined to avenge his wife's death, but what he didn't know was that she didn't want to be avenged; she wanted him to stop this plan of his. How could you make him see that? Could you accomplish such a feat? This man appeared too dedicated to his cause to give up now. You had to try though; you had promised the Queen after all and you wouldn't go back on that promise.

During the fight, you could just see her sitting there and watching. Maybe she was secretly crying, maybe she was wishing she could call out to her husband and stop him. It was most likely the last one. You couldn't imagine how hard it would be to see the one you cared for fall into the abyss, only remaining sane by hanging onto a thin branch that could break at any moment. Knowing that she was filled with a strong grief, you couldn't let her down.

Blocking another one of his attacks, you brought your blade upwards, impacting the handle of the halberd. To your surprise, you knocked the weapon out of his hands and sent it flying behind you. Umelius didn't let the shock get to him and he quickly threw himself to the ground, as you swiped the blade at his arm. He swung his right leg towards your ankles, successfully sending you to ground and dodging your attack. Swiftly getting back on his feet, he sent a wind blast at you and you rolled out of the way. You had barely dodged the gust and were just about to get to your feet before you were lifted off of them.

It suddenly seemed hard to breathe and you felt a strong grip on your neck. Umelius stared at you with his brown eyes while a smirk graced his lips. His right hand was secured around your neck and his grip was only increasing. You sword slipped from your fingers and planted itself in the ground. Your fingers grasped at his wrist, as you attempted to dig your fingernails into his skin. He didn't budge, but only shook his head at you in mockery.

"I'm afraid you won't make it out of this one, Queen of Clovers. I'm going to suffocate you until your mind is hazy and then I will break it," he uttered with a look of arrogance plastered on his face.

"You need ... to stop ... this Umelius. Surely, your ... wife was ... a wonderful and ... kind person. Why would ... someone like ... her ... ever desire ... revenge," you choked out, as your vision began to blur.

"She was indeed wonderful, but I refuse to believe the words of a child. She needs this, no she does want this!" he exclaimed loudly, his grip increasing greatly of a sudden.

Your vision only got worse and your brain didn't want to process anything, but you needed to do something now. This was your last chance. These next few seconds were everything. Setting your gaze on your sword, you allowed your arms to hang limply by your side. Reaching your right hand out slowly, you managed to wrap your hand around the handle. Energy coursed through the sword's body and you could feel it almost humming against your skin.

With only a breathy whisper, you managed to say, "Show me your strength, my companion."

Personally, you didn't know what happened after that. Only a bright light filled your vision, as it encased you lovingly. You could feel the grip around your neck disappear completely while a yell of pain sounded in front of you. Your back hit the poppy covered ground softly, as you caught your breath. Eyes closed, you felt a warm light wash over them.

Concerning Umelius, he swiftly let go of your neck, as the light radiated off of the sword. His gaze went down to the ground where the sword was planted. The light was even brighter there and it appeared as though the earth beneath him would explode. He went to run, but all he could do was cover his eyes as he was thrown roughly back. The halberd that was taken from him flew into the air as well.

The blade lodged itself into the magenta colored wooden chair, knocking the teddy bear and the chair over. As for Umelius, he impacted the trunk of the maple tree. His breath seemed to be knocked from his throat before he slid down the trunk and onto the ground. He coughed several times, as little droplets of blood escaped his mouth. Supporting himself on his hands, he regained his breath, but not his strength. How could one blow cause such damage? Was that the power of a queen's weapon that belonged to an ace?

His brown eyes glanced over to you, as you slowly picked yourself up from the ground. As for him, his arms gave out and he collapsed to the ground. It felt as though a tiny bomb went off in all of his limbs, but nothing was broken. The blast of energy had just pinpointed several areas on his body, one targeting his torso, one for each of his arms and one for each of his legs. He was so close to beating you, to getting what he wanted for over three centuries. In one attack, that had all been taken from him. What would his beloved think of him in this position? All he wanted was to bring peace to her death, but here he was on the ground.

For all those years, he held his goal close to his heart. The other kings and queen needed to pay for what they themselves or their ancestors did to his wife. Due to them, he couldn't embrace her or see her beautiful smile. He couldn't stare at the stars with her, or dance with her under the magnificent sky. It was painful and someone had to pay the price for causing his wife's death. A blade was held in front of his face, as he glanced up at your standing form.

"It's finished Umelius, now surrender," you announced, standing tall and bearing an image of regal authority.

"No, it isn't. I will claim revenge for my wife," he voiced in a tired tone, as he tried to reach out for his halberd.

"Haven't I told you that she wouldn't want this? You may say that I never met her, but I've heard about her from Fade. Someone who sounds like such a kindhearted individual wouldn't want this. You may say that you want to attain revenge for your wife, but you use her only as a way to hide the truth. It's not her desire, it's yours. All these years, you have deluded yourself into thinking your wife would want you to take this path, but in reality it's only you who wants it.

"You use her to hide away from your guilt. Every day you blame yourself for her death. You wish that you hadn't bought her lie, that you had prevented her from fighting the jacks. You believe that this path will ease your guilt and that you'll be granted forgiveness, but can't you understand that she will never forgive you because there is nothing to forgive. She deceived you, so that everyone could live; she wanted you to live and going down your current path, you will not live. Why can't you understand that your actions right now are probably causing her more pain than anything?"

"Be quiet! How dare you act like you understand this situation! You don't understand anything! You're not the one who had to watch the one they cared for die slowly and fade into nothingness. I had to hold her in my arms and watch her vanish completely and what did she ask of me in her last moments. She asked me to forgive her, as she wore a pain filled smile on her face. It tore me to pieces that couldn't do anything to help her. I had let her walk into a horrendous end and there was nothing I could do once she exited the city gates. You can never comprehend what it is like to see that smile every time you close your eyes. Thus I won't allow you to lecture me; I will not lose."

Not being able to help yourself, you glanced over to where the Queen was. Her face was turned away from Umelius while her fists were clenched. Your eyes looked back at Umelius, who had managed to pull himself to his feet and grab his weapon. You took a couple steps back and knew that he was determined to reach his goal, so much so that he couldn't face the truth of the situation. No anger existed in you at that moment, only sorrow. Why had a couple been submitted to such a fate?

Standing gracefully, you held your sword in your hands, as Umelius came towards you. He was weakened greatly by your last attack and you were exhausted as well, but he more than you at this point. You watched, but your gaze flickered over to the Queen, who abruptly stood up.

"D*mn it Umelius, please stop this!" she yelled out, as little specks of light descended down her cheeks and onto the ground.

Knowing that she was a spirit, you didn't expect anything to happen, but to your surprise something did. You remembered her mentioning that she could affect the physical world once, as a gust of wind shot through the room. Leaves blew off the maple tree and the small teddy bear flew forward. Umelius stopped in his tracks and seemed to freeze in place, as his brown eyes glanced down at the teddy bear that now lay in front of his feet. No natural wind came into this room; only he could produce wind in this room and the wind came from behind him. He knew that you couldn't create wind. Gaze meeting the teddy bear once more, he dropped his weapon and fell on his knees to the poppy covered floor.