Closer to the King

After thanking the Queen, you tied the pouch to one of the black belts around your hips. Once it was secured, the Queen and you moved onward, heading closer to your final destination. At the moment, you wanted to open the pouch, but the Queen wanted you to reveal its content after the battle with Umelius, though would you survive? She seemed to have more confidence in you, which was somewhat odd since she was Umelius's late wife. Then again she wanted you to save her husband, not kill him. Would that even be possible? Hopefully, it would be, otherwise you would feel terrible about the gift she gave you.

Letting out a long sigh and combing your fingers through your (h/c) hair, you let your mind travel to your companions that were no longer beside you. You knew they could handle themselves, but still worry plagued you. Furthermore, you probably wouldn't hear the end of it when you met up with them again; you could easily imagine the brothers' reactions and the consequences they had in store. As for Fade, she was most likely just puzzled and worried, though you promised not to unveil the Queen's presence. How you managed to get involved in constant troubling situations never ceased to amaze you; one thing always came up after another.

Focusing back on the figure in front of you, you noticed that the two of you were approaching a spiral staircase; however you became worried when you heard footsteps coming down the steps. There were no nearby doors and you wouldn't have time to run to one of the rooms and hide. The Queen floated on ahead of you into the stairwell and you could see her glance upwards. She returned to you and told you it was nothing to worry about. Raising your eyebrow at this, you rested the palms of your hands on your daggers just in case.

Soon though, a look of relief crossed your expression. The brothers and Fade were coming down the stairs and their gazes met yours almost instantly. Fade hovered over to you before ensnaring you in a tight hug and whispering phrases of relief.

She pulled back soon however, questioning, "What on earth happened back there?"

Scratching the back of your neck nervously, you replied, "Turns out it had to do with my ace abilities. I could just sort of see the way out; though I'm sorry I separated us. It would appear that hitting the stone twice was a bad decision."

Giving you a skeptical gaze, she merely shook her head, stating "That will do for now, since you seem rather confused about it yourself. Just don't suddenly part with us like that again, _____."

"Don't worry, it won't happen again," you responded, thankful that she wasn't pressing you further on the issue.

As you peered over at the brothers, you noticed their bloodstained clothing and the various wounds that were slowly starting to heal. Moreover, you caught sight of the bandages wrapped around Heart's hands while his eyes displayed evident exhaustion. Obviously, you had missed a fight of some sort.

Fade moved to the side and waited by the entrance to the staircase in case anyone came marching down or up them while the brothers walked over to you. Not being able to read their gazes, you tensed and looked between them. Moreover, you found yourself staring at their wounds. Feeling both concern and fear, you didn't exactly know what to do, but you wished that one of them would say something.

Heart was the first to do anything, as he extended his left hand out and rested it on your right cheek, whispering and chuckling, "Abandoning us like that was very rude, my dear lady. Then again if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have been engaged in two thrilling fights. On the other hand, what do you intend to do about my injuries?"

"Yes, we did have quite the time killing two elites, but like my brother mentioned, we expect payment. Pulling that little stunt back there was unacceptable. We'll buy your poor excuse, since it's in the past and we still have a fight with Umelius, but once it's over then we'll expect something from you," Diamond added, wearing his characteristic small smile, as Heart retracted his hand from your face.

You paled at hearing Diamond's announcement. They killed two elites? Was one of them Rollta? No, it couldn't have been, or the brothers would have had made it clear. Knowing them, they would've mentioned how weak he was, or be mocking him at this very moment. At least that's what you were assuming and you hoped that you were right.

"They went by the names of Balthier and Afendel. We wouldn't kill the man, who helped you escaped. You already promised that you wouldn't leave us for him, so we'll not harm him," Diamond mentioned, seeing your evident worry.

"Thank goodness," you mumbled before you continued, "Will you two be alright though?"

Chuckling, Heart smirked and looked over at his brother, who wore a soft smile. They shared a gaze only the two of them could understand before Heart grabbed your right hand and Diamond your left. Upon contact, they tugged you towards them, each placing their mouths next to one of your ears.

"We'll be fine. You should worry about yourself," they uttered in unison, each having a demented purr in their voices.

A shiver went up your spine and your whole body went rigid. You didn't want to know what they meant by that statement and you didn't want to find out. Thus you pulled yourself from their grip, shot a glare their way and headed over to Fade and the Queen. Both females were waiting for the three of you.

"Why do I even try?" you mumbled, descending down the steps behind Fade and the Queen.

                                                                                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Petite feet ran down the staircase on the opposite end of the castle. Currently, Tipora was hurrying to her master. She was shocked to discover the bodies of Afendel and Balthier. Personally, she didn't expect anyone to defeat them, but then again she wouldn't have to deal with them anymore; she wouldn't have to witness their affectionate exchanges when she simply walked the halls of the castle. The main reason for her haste was her devotion to her master. He would want to learn of the news and she was his loyal messenger. A pale grey dress, which she changed into when she returned to the castle, flared out towards the bottom and flowed with her every move. Matching grey flats covered her feet and provided some grip, as she sprinted down the steps.

Reaching the proper floor, she darted down the hallway and headed for her master. She had heard his beautiful harp playing and knew exactly where to find him. Guards stepped out of the way for her and shook their heads. Every guard found the girl odd and her behavior towards their king even stranger. Ever since Umelius had taken the girl in, after discovering her near dead outside the city walls, she always bore that attitude towards him. They understood her gratitude, but she exceeded that gratitude and it was disturbing at times.

Her hands opened the double doors to the room where her master resided and as usual her breath got caught in her throat. There he was sitting with grace and elegance; the definition of perfection in her grey eyes. He was still sitting in the wooden magenta chair while he twirled a dark magenta poppy between his right thumb, index and middle fingers. His brown eyes gazed softly at the flower and only elements of calm and longing surrounded the man.

Turning his gaze on Tipora, he asked in a monotone voice, "Is there something the matter, Tipora?"

"Umm ... yes ... well you see ...I have found the ... bodies of Afendel and Balthier in the observation room" she stuttered out, not feeling worthy of her master's gaze.

"I see. They were good soldiers. Please inform the medical ward and they will take care of their bodies. We'll have a proper funeral for them once I deal with the intruders."

"Yes, your ... highness. So you know ... of the intruders ... then?"

"Yes, Rufus informed me some time ago. They'll be dealt with and soon after be killed once I gain control of the Queen of Clovers; her mind shouldn't be too hard to break. When her blade strikes them, I will be several steps closer to my goal. Now is there anything else?"

"No, ... that is all, ... your highness," she stuttered again before bowing and exiting the room afterwards, closing the door behind her.

When the door was closed shut, Umelius stared once more at the flower in his hand, twirling it back and forth in his right hand while his left stroked the head of the small purple bear. The flower was so beautiful, yet it had a short life span. It slipped slowly from his fingertips, falling to the field of flowers below him. Just like the flower, he allowed his wife to slip from his grip. If only he had seen through her lie that day, she would've been spared; they would've found another way to defeat the jacks that his 'friends' so carelessly revived.

Standing up, he rested the bear on the chair and walked over to the maple tree. Placing his right hand on its brown bark, he stared up at the star filled sky. He calmed himself, knowing that his growing anger at the past would only make him vulnerable. This was no time to mourn, for he had a battle on his way.