Chapter 5

My reflexes kicked in, and time slowed to a crawl.

The glass exploded from the wall as the bullet hit its surface. I watched it happen in slow motion.

I looked at the bullet imbedded in the wall behind the glass, then tracked its entry point back to where the gun must have been.

I pulled open the stall door.

A figure clad in a skin-tight green and yellow striped suit stood behind it with a gun in his hand.

I snatched the gun from his grasp and threw it away from him all in one motion. Then, I returned to normal time.

As soon as the guy saw me, he aimed a kick straight at my face. I bent over to dodge the attack. He followed with a quick swipe at my legs that dropped me to the ground.

I went back into hypermode and flipped backwards to get away from him. Then I kicked him in the ribs with enough force to break at least a few of them.

I went back into normal time again.

My hit took effect. The guy went sailing into the stall he appeared from.

He was silent. He didn't even make a sound of pain as he landed in the toilet.

I activated my suit.

The man flickered before reappearing in front of me. He pulled a dirty punch and hit my throat with his fist.

The punch forced me backwards into the wall, gasping for breath. My moment of weakness gave him the perfect opportunity to kick me all the way through to the other side.

Switching powers was difficult, but I tried to manage. I shifted into my diamond form before he sent me through the bathroom wall all the way through.

I went flying into the next room, which just happened to be the lunchroom. I crashed into a table, leaving it broken and useless for later.

Since there was a full two hours before lunch time, the space was next to empty. That said, I needed to get this guy away from the school. There were too many innocents...adolescents...that could get hurt.

I switched out of my diamond form and went into hypermode. Before I could do anything else, though, the guy was already moving towards me.

This time, I saw him, and realized what he was doing. He moved fast enough to be a blur, even as I was in hypermode. But he wasn't teleporting. He was just moving really fast.

I wedged myself deeper into hypermode than I had ever gone before. It felt as if I was sticking my hand down a well, trying to scoop water, and I had just tried to use a bucket.

He moved almost at normal speed now- I had the advantage. With my normal speed in addition to hypermode, I should've been more than fast enough to take this guy out.

"Finally caught up, huh?" he finally said.

I stopped mid-step. His voice sounded familiar.

"Recognize it? You probably don't remember-" He laughed, probably at the inside joke. "-You fought me yesterday."

He thought I didn't remember. But I did. Whatever they were supposed to do to me didn't work.