Chapter 7

"Where are we?" a voice said faintly.

"I don't know. But shouldn't you be more concerned about the fact that Jake attacked us? What was that about?" another responded.

"More importantly, what are going to do about him?" the original voice asked.

My eyes snapped open. I grabbed the hand reaching over me. "Don't touch me," I said.

My memories came rushing back to me.

Sage gently removed my hand from her arm and sat back down. "You're awake," she said matter-of-factly.

"How many times have I gotten knocked out in the past two months?" I asked. "More than I can count." I answered my own question. "How long was I out?"

"I have no idea," Sage said. "You were the last one to wake up. We came out of it days ago."

"Days?"

"Yep."

I huffed. "Where is everyone?"

"Eating lunch. The guards wanted me to stay with you in case you woke up."

"Guards?" I was still feeling groggy. "Are we in a prison?"

"Of sorts," she replied.

"Then why don't we get out of here?" I took a step up, but immediately sat back down.

"Easy, soldier." Sage caught me. "This bracelet keeps you from using your powers." She jangled a funny-looking bracelet on my wrist.

"I didn't know they could do that," I commented.

"Me neither," she said.

I looked at our surroundings. We were in a circular tube that had the transparency of glass, but the hardness of steel, just like the tube in our dimension that kept the city there. You couldn't see much outside of our space because the light was hanging directly above us.

The tube was big enough to have room for ten people, easily, so I could move around freely. But besides that, it was just an empty space.

"Where do you go to the bathroom?" I asked.

"In our rooms," she said.

"We have rooms? I thought we were prisoners," I said.

"They treat us like 'royalty' here. You know: good food, plush beds, the works. I think its because they want something from us or because they want some leeway if there are any legal issues. Which there will be if I'm ever getting out of here."

"If we have rooms, then why are we in this tube?"

"Probably to keep us in check before moving us." She stood up.

"What were those voices? Who were you talking to?" I asked.

"Ah! So many questions! Can you just get up and eat first, please?" Sage said exasperatedly.

"Alright." I settled on that, even though she hasn't answered my question.

She typed a code into the wall, and part of the tube slid away for us to exit with.

"You act like you've lived here before," I commented.

"I haven't. But I guess I sort of do now," she said.