Chapter 25

After that small little introduction, I grew confident enough to talk the other people that were now my new roomies. I mainly apologized for nearly killing them, which sounded as awkward out loud as it did in my head, and caught everyone's name, but I got through. I paid particular attention to the foreign girl's name when I learned it.

Now that I had been offered the opportunity to get a good look at her when we weren't fighting, I deduced that this wasn't my first time seeing her.

Surprisingly, I felt a little discouraged when I found out that she had a boyfriend- a buff-looking 20-year-old named Zen. Judging from his name, I assumed he was a peaceful person by nature. I only shook his hand briefly.

After that, I didn't know what to do. If I tried to join one of the groups, I was afraid I would get booted immediately.

Liam saw my dilemma. He called my name and invited me over to the table to watch them play. They were playing a game called Bullshit. I was curious; with a name like that, I thought it might be at least a little interesting.

I kept a small, watchful eye on Alex and  Zen. I was a bit confused at first, because I normally expected a guy to be called Alex, but I knew it was normal.

As I overlooked the game, I tried to put together the rules to the game. It consisted of three main rules: putting down the right cards in the middle of the table in order, lying if you didn't have them, and trying to lose all of your cards before the others, hoping you didn't get caught lying. You had to take all of the cards on the table if you did.

I stood silently. Trying not to gain the attention of anyone, my legs began to ache from lack of motion. I crossed my arms.

No one took any notice of me. I felt very uncomfortable, but I didn't have much longer.

When a long bell rung overhead, I realized that these people really were soldiers.

"What's that for?" I asked Liam.

"It's breakfast time," he said.

"Oh," I said, disappointed. I expected it to be for something more serious, like battle training.

"Hurry up. There won't be any food left if we don't hurry," Liam said with a light laugh as everyone exited the room quickly. I saw Alex and her boyfriend looking back and laughing as they left.

I hurried after them with Liam in front of me.

"Can you use your powers right now?" I asked him.

"Can't you?" he replied. "Of course I can."

I frowned. It was a personal problem, then. Or maybe Peter had done something to block my powers while I was sleeping. It wouldn't be the first time.

I didn't want to be the last person in line if there was one, so I picked up my step, falling in league with the group.

The passage opened up into a mess hall. As I predicted, a line was already forming along the walls. Perfectly straight rows of tables filled the room, and people were taking them as they got their lunch.

I got in line and picked up a tray. Moving along, I grabbed a milk carton, then picked up the food I was going to get wen I got further down. It was a self-serving lunch area.

I stopped after I got out to look for Liam and Trace. I spotted them with Alex and Zen, others steadily making sure the number of available seats was dwindling.

I crossed the floor to them and grabbed one of the two last ones available in front of the four.

"You made it," Liam commented. "See, that wasn't so bad."