Chapter 13

It felt like a rug had been pulled out from under my feet. I fell sideways onto cold snow.

I reeled from the sudden temperature change. The cold bit at my skin like a rabid dog. I spread my fire throughout my body, and my skin gave off a barely detectable blue glow.

The morning sun was shining its early light, reflecting off of the bright, white snow that was visible in every direction for as far as I could see.

We had switched environments so fast. I watched the snow melt under my feet.

After surveying the surrounding area, I randomly selected a direction and walked in it, my hot feet leaving steamy footprints in the snow.

I marveled at the amount of power and/or technology that would have been necessary for this? Was I under the influence of someone else's mental control, or was I teleported here? Could this be an impeccably designed virtual world?

I examined the sun hanging high overhead and felt the wind beating against my back. No, I decided. This is real.

I got what the program was saying about the challenge, but I was handling in the cold environment just fine. As long as I stayed warm, my fire could beat back the ice without me wasting much effort. But how was I going to fight him if he was a program and I was in a different place?

I gasped. I was in a different place. How was I going to get back!

I shook my head in disdain. Why would someone do this to me?

At the very least, I thought, I can use this opportunity to see if I can fly.

So I jumped.

And fell.

I wiped the snow turned water out of my mouth, using my shirt to dry it off.

That was when I noticed my watch was missing.

I slapped my head angrily. Without it, I could burn off all of my clothes.

Pop! Something hit my head hard. "Ow," I said, rubbing the sore spot. "What was that?"

An object glinted off the small amount of sunlight coming from the sky a few steps away. I trudged through the snow and picked it up.

My watch. I looked up at the sky. It was teleported here from the gym. But how?

I strapped the watch on my wrist and brought out my suit. Someone was watching me...and reading my mind. And I only knew one person who could do that.

I took a step back, bounced on both of my feet twice, got a running start and jumped.

Immediately my body lit on fire, responding to my command. It trailed behind me like a bright beacon as I soared high, reaching cloud cover. The moisture felt warm and thick against my suit, making it sticky.

But I didn't stay in the air for very long. My fire wasn't enough to keep me aloft, especially with a lack of oxygen, which made it increasingly harder to sustain it. My breath began to come in short bursts from exertion and lack of air.

"No!" I shouted.

I plummeted to the ground, losing altitude fast. The fire twinkled out as the wind buffeted against my suit, and I spun end over end in midair, screaming at the top of my lungs.

Then, hands were around me, and my descent slowed considerably. I was set gently on the ground.

"Looks like you owe me another one." I heard Alissa's voice and immediately turned around.