Chapter 23

I couldn't remember how I got there, but I got up from the floor anyway.

Testing my fingers and my toes, I wiggled every part of my body to make sure I was okay. There was almost no trace of the evil Di-men (which was a clever name, I have to admit), but I could feel the darkness in me.

And, most surprisingly, it felt exactly like energy.

I heard the pounding of feet on a hard floor, and Cassie appeared a second later. "There you are!" she said. "Why are you in here?"

I placed the glove I had picked up on the table precariously.

"What are you doing with Blink's glove?" she asked.

"That's mine, technically," I said, putting up my finger and stopping her. "And... I don't know, exactly."

"I will in a second," she said.

"No!" I said. A light pressure grew from my temple.

Cassie grabbed her head. "Oh, that hurts."

I blocked her from entering my mind mentally. Now that I knew what to look for, I could keep her out. My powers must have been more connected to electricity than I thought; brainwaves were controlled by it. Somehow, I could use that to my advantage.

"I'm not doing that again," she said, irked that she couldn't know what I was thinking. "Seriously, what were you doing?"

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"You think that a lot," she noted.

"There's a lot I don't know," I said. I could see the major problem with that.

"Mm-hm," she said. When she walked away, I assumed Cassie expected me to follow her. She took me back to the video room.

"Don't tell Blink," I said.

"Sure." She threw me a devious look, then entered the room. No one noticed ether of us come in, and I preferred it that way.

"Why must you never listen?" The voice sounded exasperated in my head. "You touched the orb, didn't you?"

"Like you were any help," I said. "I didn't have a choice. It made me."

"That didn't happen..."

Another slip. From the way he was talking, I thought he could be from the future. But that wasn't possible. There was scientific proof that people couldn't do that in my dimension.

The room grew quiet as the screen turned on and voices came in on the soldiers' comms.

It was dark. We were watching from a camera mounted on the side of a soldier's head, along with a flashlight. Every one of them was equipped with one.

"Echo Squadron, come in," someone said.

"We're in, Eagle Squadron," another one said form the group we were currently watching from.

"Aren't they supposed to say over?" Blink asked.

"No," I whispered. "Shush."

All of them surrounded a small building, one that looked even smaller than the facility; it obviously wasn't big enough to house any malicious activity.