Chapter 6

With a gun on the back of my head, there was no way out of this for me. But at least the others were safe.

As if on cue, Cassie and Blink came around the corner beside me, each with guns on their heads as well. Sage joined shortly after.

How did they get all of us? At least Cassie and Blink should have been okay. How could they have known...

I realized the answer bitterly. It was Jake.

The agents in black and white led us out of the school and into the back of a black van. They slammed the door behind us. We were enveloped under a layer of darkness.

"Hey!" I shouted. "Where are you taking us?"

No answer.

I banged my fist on the wall. "Hey! You can't ignore me!"

"Give it up, Jay," Blink said.

"What?" I asked him. "Why would you say that?" I felt the ground begin to move under my feet. Or rather, the truck.

"Because we won't get out of this. Not this way," he explained.

"I'm with him on this," Cassie agreed. "My powers aren't working, and I think it's safe to assume that yours aren't either."

I experimentally tried to turn my hand into diamond. Nothing happened. And plus, I couldn't see with my night vision either, so I knew my powers were busted.

"Shit," I said.

"Language, please," Sage said.

I huffed in anger, not knowing what else to do. My powers were 95% of my protection, the rest being my natural talents. Which were worth next to nothing compared to what we were up against.

"I wonder where they're taking us," Blink speculated.

"Probably somewhere we won't like," Sage said.

I though about all of the ways this could go down. If we were underground, which was likely, we would most likely not escape. But if we came out above ground, the others might have a chance. I would just need to provide a good distraction.

"No," Cassie said.

She was reading my mind again. Back to her old, horrible habits.

"That's not your choice to make," I replied.

Sage and Blink looked confused about what we were talking about, but they knew we were discussing something Cassie saw in my mind.

"Even if we did make it out, what about you?" Cassie asked me.

"It doesn't matter what happens to me," I said. "But if you three can make it out of this, then that's better than all four of us getting captured."

"I'm definitely not leaving you," Sage. "Cassie and Blink can get away."

I sighed in relief. Being alone seemed terrifying.

We sat in darkness without talking for a while. Nothing needed to be said; and what did, was not.

"How could they not have gotten Jake?" Blink speculated.