Chapter 29

"Sage?" I said incredulously. I flung my arms around my sister. "Oh, God, it's you!"

"Of course it's me. Who did you think I was?"

I had to take a step back to remember that every image I had of Sage wasn't real. It didn't really happen.

"Sage, I can't remember anything. All of my memories are fake, and I don't know what to do," I said.

"You mean you don't have any memories?" Sage asked me.

"Right," I said. "I mean, I know who you are, but that's only from my-"

"Dreams," she finished for me.

"Exactly," I said. "How did you know?"

"They did it to me, too," she admitted. "What happened in this dream world of yours? Was it just me, or was it a whole lot of other people?"

"Like who?"

"Blink, Cassie, Jason, Alissa, et cetera," Sage explained.

"Yes!" I shouted, looking up at the sky. Someone else understood, finally.

"Be quiet," Sage scolded me. "Someone could be watching."

"Sage, I need you to tell me everything you know," I said. "Like, right now. Oh, and I just called the police on myself, so we should probably leave."

"I know," she said. "I knew you were alive when I felt your energy signature again. I traced it back to here."

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"Just follow me," she said.

Her white lightning was my only indication of her moving, but it was enough for me to follow.

When I took my first step, I expected nothing to happen. Surprisingly, that first step sent a surge of energy through me. I tracked Sage's lightning and was able to catch her and run alongside her.

I felt pure joy at being able to run as fast as I wanted again. I smiled as I ran, despite my situation.

When Sage reached water and didn't stop, I was so astonished that I tripped and fell headfirst into it.

I climbed back up to the pier and took a few steps to orient myself.

My legs moving at a blur, I took a step down from the pier and hit water, but I went so fast that my foot slipped. Luckily, my other foot caught the water and pushed out, and I was running on top of it.

I chased Sage, but I couldn't catch her, and as much as I liked running, I was beginning to get a little tired. Not physically, of course, but besides my extensive time in the pod, and my fake reality dream, I hadn't gotten much rest today.

Shortly after we hit land again, I tried to let Sage know I needed to stop. But my words were carried away in the wind, left miler behind the moment I uttered them.

She skidded to a stop a few moments later, and I stopped ahead of her when I saw. She was looking at a house.

I did a double take. That was our house.

She walked up to the steps.

When she raised her arm to knock on the door, I was there to stop it with a flash of blue light.