Chapter 26

As time went on, I got a better understanding of the ropes, or however it's supposed to be said.

After a week of my time there, Alex and Zen broke up for unknown reasons. I wasn't oriented enough to have the bravery to ask her why, so I didn't. Meanwhile, Liam and Trace wrung me dry every day, taking a day's worth of breaks every seven. Sometimes, Alex came to watch.

As I stayed even longer, I saw less and less of Uncle Peter. The most I ever saw of him was a fleeting look in the hallway, and he didn't answer when I called to him.

Most importantly, just as Alex said, my powers returned a few days later after my first day. I gained the energy I needed from the power provided by the sockets in the room, preferably the one next to my bottom bunk bed.

There were times when I wondered if I would ever get to see the others again, but the thought always ended in me shrugging it off. If they cared so much, they would've found me already. Not that I would go if they had. I liked it here.

The more time I spent with my peers, the more I found out, and the more I found out, the more convinced I was that Afterlight was the real enemy. I had been blindsided by those guys. And though I had gotten free of their control, the others were still being used by them. The horrible things the organization had done...

Killing innocent people. Forcing superhumans to work for them. Testing military products on the public. Illegal authorization of hazardous materials. The organization was as corrupt as it got. And all hidden behind the facade that was made up of kind faces and hidden operations.

Kind faces that included mine. Well, not anymore. I was done with them.

And somehow, I knew that I hadn't heard of every horrid act of violence Afterlight had committed in the name of the law. I wanted nothing more than to bust out my sister and run away from everything.

But as much I wanted to, I couldn't. Peter still had my parents, and I had no idea if I could even make it back to the compound if given the opportunity.

"You have my attention."

I looked to the doorway where Uncle Peter was standing impatiently. My thoughts had been broken.

I followed him out of the room.

"I haven't caused any trouble," I said. "I've been making friends and am trying to fit in. What more can I do?"

"I'm not sure I know what you're asking," Peter said.

"I want to see my parents," I said earnestly, louder than intended.

Peter brought his hand to his face and slid it down. "You are not ready to see them."

Suddenly, I noticed the deepening lines around his forehead, his frown, and his bloodshot eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he said. He didn't even smile.

"Look," I said, moving on. "All I need is confirmation. I haven't even had a glimpse of them since I got here. Haven't I earned at least that?"

Uncle Peter pinched the bridge of his nose. He stayed in that position for about five minutes.

I shifted from foot to foot. Was I supposed to just walk away?