Chapter 3 - argument acceleration

It was late this night, when Nathans parents went to meet Timmys parents. Jonah, Nathans father, knocked at the door and greeted Connor with a brief nod. “Can we come in?” Connor stepped aside and motioned them to enter the house.

It was an awkward silence. Nina, Nathans mother, clung to a tightly wrapped plastic bag like a lifeline. She saw Sarah and the tears she barely held back, finally poured down her cheeks. She rushed to Timmy’s mother and the women comforted each other in a tight hug. The men just stood by, watching and dealing with their own emotional turmoil.

Finally Jonah turned to Connor and said: “Sorry, that my son behaved like that. The only excuse I have is, that he obviously really doesn’t know what he did. He insisted stubbornly of “being straight” and that his mate MUST be a beautiful woman, he won’t accept anything else.” Jonah sighed deeply. “I think it’s because he went to that blasted boarding schools for all these years. Nathan has no clue how a pack is working and what a pack means for us. He was alone for a long time. Maybe too long.”

The four of them raised their heads when they hear feet tapping down the stairs. “Nathan?” the small voice of Timmy asked with a renewed hope. “Are you here? I can smell you?” Timmy was looking eagerly around to find his mate, but his face fell when he didn’t see him. Just a faint smell that scented the air like a fresh breeze.

Nina turned around, looking at Timmy lovingly. “Sweetie, I know that you miss Nathan. And to help you I borrowed some things for you. A T-Shirt and some other things. I wrapped it in plastic, so my scent is not tainting it for you.” Timmy’s face lit up like a torch. “That’s what I smelled?” Nina nodded and looked satisfied how Timmy eagerly teared up the covering wrapping foil. He scurried to Nina and wrapped his arms around her in an excited embrace. “Oh thank you, thank you so much.” With those words he took his prey and hurried in his room, perfuming it happily with the scent of his mate.

The parents couldn’t help but grin. Maybe this way they could help him to make it easier for Timmy. They all knew that all needs to be fixed by time and that those two had to work it out alone. But feeling helpless didn't sit well with their wolves. And themselves.

A little bit later, Timmy laid in his bed, wrapped tightly in the unique scent of his mate. And his favorite T-Shirt. “Buddy?” he asked sleepily. “Yes, Timmy?” his lifelong friend answered gently. “That is the best present I ever got.” he said happily, sniffing at the T-Shirt he wore. He heard the slight chuckle of Buddy in equal happiness. “Yes it is. The scent is awesome, isn’t it?” Buddy asked back. “Yes, it is the  scent of our mate and it’s so good.” Timmy hesitated briefly. “Buddy? Do you know how we are able to teach Nathan how pack life works? We are not part of a pack, we don’t know it exactly either.” he finished a bit worried.

Buddy thought a for a while, but then a huge wave of confidence rushed through him. “He is our mate. He will not be able to resist forever. After all, he has a wolf, too. And we are all the same: We want to have our mates.” Buddy reassured him fiercely. Timmy thought about it and found no flaw in this logic. And with that he slept in happily.

Meanwhile the time for Nathan wasn’t so comforting. Not only that he suddenly missed his favorite T-Shirt and so he had to go to his welcoming party with a button down shirt he really despised, he discovered that the whole pack was looking at him with pity.

He was getting really worked up. First he was sent back to learn stupid things about human laws, cut up from his pack. Then his wolf went completely nuts, telling him that this little nutcase, Timmy, was his mate. Not to mention that his father hold him a long speech about mates and how you have to cherish them. And the final straw was this evening. It was meant to be his welcoming party, but seeing the mood of the people it could easily be a funeral.

And to put the cherry on top Nate refused to get himself drunk. Everytime he tried to drink something different than water or Coke he felt nauseated and was barely able to reach the toilet in time to spill the alcohol immediately. “Thanks bud for ruining my evening.” he thought sourly. “Thanks bud for ruining my life. You’re welcome.” Nates prompt and pissed answer let him roll his eyes.

The only one who seem to accept him was Alpha and Luna. And their daughter. The girl was rather pretty and Nathan thought of escaping the situation and trying to get into her pants. “Don’t even think about it, Nathan.” his wolf warned him. “And why not? At least we are straight, aren’t we?” he asked him mockingly. But Nate wasn’t having any of it. “Don’t even try it, Nathan. You are not having… whatever...with that….thing.” he could feel the nose of his wolf scrunching in disgust. “You are my inner wolf. And this is my external desire. You can’t do anything.” he challenged Nate.

Silence. Nathan wondered briefly how far the ability of Nate would go to manhandle his body like he pleases, but on the other hand: A nauseous feeling because of alcohol might be the problem of the day. He surely had a stressful day and this might be the reason for his alcohol intolerance. A slight breeze of amusement washed through him. Yes, that was exactly what it was. Nate wouldn’t hold that much power over him. The stress today was getting to him. He eyed the girl eagerly. Maybe she was his real mate?

Lunas daughter was flirting with him the whole evening. And Nathan really couldn’t blame her. At least he was handsome and he knew it. Slowly he approached the small brunette. Her eyes sparkling with delight when she looked at him approvingly. “Hey.” he smiled at her. She smiled back. “Hey yourself, handsome.” And then she threw her hands around his neck and kissed him everything but innocent.

He wrapped his hands around her small waist and kissed her back, eager to find the relief in a sexual encounter.

The only warning he got was: “I warned you not to try me and cheat on our mate” before an uncontrollable wave of nausea washed over him. He drew back and spilled the content of his stomach all over the poor girl. Who screamed bloody murder instantly. “You won’t have sex with another one but our mate, am I clear at this point?” the fierce voice of his wolf before a fist appeared out of nowhere and blacked him out completely.

When he woke up he was wrapped tightly in his blankets. His head pounded when he remembered the events of his such called “welcome party”. Yeah, he really felt welcome now to the pack. He still didn’t understand completely why everybody was so disgusted with him. Even those who helped him as kids to torment the little imbecile turned their backs against him. Traitors.

He wrapped himself out of the blanket. At least his family cared enough for him. Slowly he made his way to his en suite bathroom. Well. A shower with a sink and a toilet, but it was his. Nathan looked in the mirror and groaned. His face sported a huge black eye and the jaw felt pretty tender.

He stepped into the shower and washed himself carefully. When he came back he found his bed stripped of the comforters and the pillows. He wondered briefly but then remembered that his mother always washed the clothes on one certain day in the week. Maybe today was her “clothes day”.

With a slight happiness he found his favorite T-Shirt. An enticing scent clung to it, sweet and very unique. He wondered briefly who perfumed that T-Shirt. He liked the fragrance a lot, so much that he couldn’t stop sniffing at it. What a wonderful fragrance. Boss? Nah. Boss wasn’t this heavenly scent. The young man ignored smoothly Nates snickering and decided to go for breakfast. He was starving.

When he entered the kitchen the aroma of fresh coffee greeted him and he went for his cereals. His sister leaned at the desk, looking at him intently. “Nathan?” he looked up to her, shoveling the cereal in his hungry mouth. “Oh, finally you acknowledge me? Oh, well, thank you.” he replied sarcastically. His sister snorted. “What is Nate thinking about you rejecting Timmy?” He heard Nates warning. “Don’t you dare lying to them…” Nate thought back: “Ah, shut up.”

Nate sighed and he snickered. To his sister he said: “He is totally agreeing with mOOMPH” his face splashed into his bowl filled with milk and cereal and his sister literally broke down to the floor, cackling like a maniac. “Oh yeah, I can see how he agrees with you” she hollered gleefully. “Good game Nate. Go ahead.”

Without his consent he could hear himself speak: “Thank you, Sweetie.” and a wide grin spread over his face. His sister stopped laughing immediately. “Oh wow” she breathed in awe. “Nathan, this really put cherry on the cake. You pissed your wolf off that much that he took over? Way to go brother, you better fix this and soon.” Nathan felt a shiver of fear, his body was completely out of his control, Nate seriously took over. After another five seconds Nate gave the control back to him. Not without a warning. “I want our mate. And I will get him. If you want it or not. I'll put you in the second row if I have to.” Before he could answer him the main door opened and the sweet voice of his grandmother washed through his ears. “Where is my grandson?”

He jumped up, running to the door, grinning broadly. Finally a friendly face, his granny always loved her grandchilds unconditionally. “Granny” he embraced her in a tight hug she answered fullheartedly. For once he felt welcome and loved. Tears slipped across his face, he was too happy to see her again.

When his grandmother pulled out of his embrace she looked at him sternly. “What did I hear? You rejected your mate?” she asked him in her non nonsense tone. Nathan groaned and he heard Nate snickering in the back of his mind. “Granny please. Give me some break. It’s too much.”

Nathans grandmother got upset. “I should give you a break? You rejected your mate and I should give YOU a break? Did you ever thought about how Timmy is feeling?” she boomed at him and out of nowhere she pulled out a frying pan. He faintly heard Nate saying: “Ooops, that’s my clue to leave, good luck with that one” and for the first time of his life he couldn’t feel his inner wolf. He wasn't even able to digest the scary feeling of being alone with himself, when his grandmother lifted the frying pan.

And then he received the beating of a lifetime. His granny wasn’t a weak woman and the frying pan was her favorite tool for everything, rumors said: Even chopping wood. With each beat she gave him a piece of her mind. He soon understood why she called her frying pan “argument amplifier” and boy did it amplify her arguments.

Finally he tore free, changed into his wolf an ran off into the wood, his tail tucked firmly between his back legs.

***

Timmy woke up this morning, still wrapped in that heavenly and soothing scent that emanated of his T-Shirt. Or better said Nathans T-Shirt. He reluctantly pulled it over his head and padded to the shower.

Breakfast was uneventful. His mother spoiled him with all his favorite food and even got so far to decorate his pancakes with fried bacon and jam.

Timmy decided to go for a run into the woods. He had a favorite place, a clearing with a little rivulet running at the side. He was a close friend to some of the animals there, the rabbit, a fox family and even another wolf pack. Of course they didn’t speak, they were animals. But they were trusting him and he often healed their minor and major injuries.
He bid his mother goodbye and ran into the forest. Once he reached the clearing Timmy sat down, his back leaned at a rock. He looked at the sun and missed his mate. And so did Buddy.

The late fall sun was still warming him when he felt a soothing yet exciting presence. He tried to figure who was visiting him when he heard Buddy yipping excitedly: “NATE.” Timmy was astonished. The wolf of his mate was able to visit him? Boy he was almost too big for his little soul. It was getting crowded for a moment before Nate somehow matches himself to their size.

He could almost see the big wolf grinning smugly. “What are you doing here?” he asked his mates wolf, feeling confused. “Let’s say I want to know you and that Nathans soul actually is not the best place to stay over.” Timmy sighed happily and he could feel the wolfes snuggling tightly in his inner sanctuary. He was content. He didn’t want to question why Nate was here, he was happy to feel him. He felt so safe and loved with him nearby and he want to harbor this feeling as long as possible.

Timmy felt a little tugging at his leg. One of his rabbit friends came out reluctantly but nonetheless determined to get his snuggle dose. Timmy wrapped the little critter tightly in his arms and caressed the soft fur and the rabbit seemingly relaxed. He felt Nates amusement. “You are cuddling the dinner?” he asked and Timmy furrowed his brows. “He is no dinner. He is a friend.” he scolded the bigger wolf. Buddy bit his mate playfully in the ear and said: “Bad wolf. He really is an old friend and we healed his wounds many times. So no. He isn’t dinner.” Nate caved in immediately. The last thing he wanted was to upset his mate. “OK, no rabbits for dinner anymore.” Buddy and Timmy now grinned both broadly. “What?” Nate asked a bit puzzled.

Only this rabbit and his family is out of question. The other ones are plain tasty.” Buddy and Timmy giggled loudly. Nate shook his head and decided to play safe. No rabbits as long as he couldn’t distinguish between the good rabbit and the tasty rabbit.

As the afternoon went on Nate became a little desperate. The amount of animals he couldn’t hunt was endless. Silently he bid his hunting skills a farewell for good. There was no way that he could upset his mate by killing one of his friends by accident. It seems to him that Timmy got connections to all delectable animals in this forest. A fox family was currently sitting in his lap, purring slightly and the pups were playing catch with the rabbit family under the watchful eye from the parents and Timmy. It was a fragile and temporarily peace, but it worked.

Nate suddenly realized that Timmy indeed was awesome and precious. And he began to understood why the pack loved him so much. He had the talent to put together even the worst enemy if not in friendship but in a peaceful ceasefire. Nate wondered if any of his pack members ever realized how awesome Timmy really was.

Timmy caught his thoughts and was confused. “I’m not awesome. I’m stupid. And I don’t know many things. I just like my peace, so why am I awesome?” Nate sent waves of reassurance through his mate like he did it many times before with Nathan.

A deep and vicious growl suddenly destroyed the deep peace of the clearing. Two large rogue wolfes approached the little group and Timmy saw the fox parents taking in a protective stance while the rabbits crouched in his lap, shaking violently in fear.

The rogues changed into their human form and one of them crouched in front of Timmy, an intimidating smile on his face. “Oh my, look at that pretty little and unguarded boy. Don’t you think he will bring a good amount of money on the market?” he asked his companion. The other rogue smiled approvingly. “Oh yes, he will.” Right when the first rogue tried to catch Timmys wrist the fox mother jumped and bit one of his fingers off. The rabbit family fled into the woods and Nate yelled at Timmy:

“GO! CHANGE!”

Timmy tried to change, but he and Buddy were so confused and intimidated. The second rogue approached him to snatch his wrist again when suddenly the most vicious snarl Timmy ever heard sounded in their backs. A huge black wolf with iceblue eyes ran full speed at the clearing, standing between Timmy and the rogues in a protective stance. The first rogue held his wounded hand and cursed. “Shit this little treasure is mated.” Both turned around on their heels and fled the clearing.

A last growl from the big wolf and then he changed into his human form. “Timmy, are you okay?” Nathan frantically checked the smaller man of any injuries and was relieved that he found nothing. Timmy just watched at him carefully. And so did Buddy. Nate was gone, apparently he went back to his original place.

Nathan sat down, grimacing because of the pain. His grandmother really did a number at him. He motioned to Timmy to come over. “C’mere Timmy, I think we have to talk.” Timmy nodded. “Yes, I think that would be a good idea.”