Chapter 5 - Mate?

Nathan shook the sleeping Timmy. “Hey, lad. Wake up.” Timmy opened his eyes slowly and blinked a few times. Then he yawned, scrunching his nose. Nate was in awe. “He is SO CUTE.” Nate gushed and Nathan groaned. “Don’t go all Diva on me now, will you? A wolf in Drag is somehow less intimidating.” Nate just chuckled and then nudged him gently. “Better go home. It’s getting dark and we don’t know anything about the whereabout of those rogues.”

Nathan looked at Timmy who gazed at his little rabbit friend sleepily. “Do you think you can ride on my back?” he asked the younger man. Timmys face lit up like a candle in the dark. “You let me ride on your back?” Nathan smiled. “I guess we are much faster than on two legs.” Timmy looked worried. “Am I not… erm, maybe I can change into my wolf too?” he offered.

Nathan nudged the little rabbit. “And what about your friend? How will you carry it?” Timmy grinned. “I did it before.” He shrugged off his T-Shirt and tucked the little fellow into it. On top he made a makeshift knot. Nathan looked at the slender torso and he could swear Nate was drooling. “Wooooohoooooo” he heard his wolf whistling. “He’s...he’s… oh wow.” Nathan was close to a laughing fit, he never experienced his wolf acting like this.

“Don’t drool too much in my mind.” Nate snorted. “As if. It’s dirty enough like it is.” Nathan was offended. “My mind isn’t dirty.” he replied, a bit miffed. “Try to live in here.” came the dry reply.

Timmy looked at him expectantly. “Am I allowed to change?” he asked eagerly. Nathan was astonished. “You have to ask for permission?” he asked the smaller man? Timmy nodded, a bit sad. “I’m not allowed to change into my wolf without permission.” Nathan shook his head. Even in his human days he had to shift from time to time, seeing that Nate became restless and wanted to straightened his paws. It was always risky, but he was careful all the time.

“Yeah especially that day when you almost got caught with that dog catcher…” Nate reminded him none too kindly. Nathan shuddered. “Thanks for the unwanted memory, lad” he replied sarcastically. Nate didn’t even bat an eye. “You’re welcome. To think that they wanted to castrate you..." he snickered evilly.

He concentrated on Timmy again. “Why don’t you change. If you need a permission - you have it right now.” he told the young werewolf. Timmy nodded happily and changed in the blink of an eye. Nathan hold in his breath, and now he understood why Timmy was the way he was.

In front of him a small deep golden wolf stood proud and strong. While in his human form Timmy seemed vulnerable and fragile, his wolf was anything but fragile. Nathan knew about the golden wolves. They were literally unable to feel hatred or being able to lie, they were kind and friendly. But they were also born judges. Their sense of fairness and justice was incorruptible. They were no saints, but honor, loyalty and a general kindness were embedded in their very soul.

And Nathan knew immediately that Timmy has to shift back. If Alpha realize that Timmy was a sun wolf, he would kill him in an instant. He now understood why Germaine urged him to take care of Timmy and why the pack couldn't afford to lose the wolf. Germaine was right, they needed Timmy more than ever.

If the case of Alphas abuse of the pack members came to the ears of the council and was testified by a never lying sun wolf, Alpha was screwed and he knew that. To prevent that he would kill Timmy immediately. He wouldn't care that killing a sun wolf was a major crime in their world. He already proved that he didn't give a shit as long as he was comfy and got his way.

Well, or at least he would try to kill Timmy, seeing the fierce protection the whole pack covered the wellbeing of the golden wolf without even knowing what he was. “Timmy, Buddy, I’m so sorry, but you have to shift back. I’ll carry you on my back and I promise you: You can run as fast as you want very soon. But first we have to solve the problems in the pack. It’s not safe.” Timmys ears hung down sadly. “It’s been so long” he sniffled sadly and Nathan almost caved in. Almost.

“I’m sorry. But it’s not safe right now. I don’t want to risk you safety.” Timmys eyes lit up like a flashlight. “You don’t?” he asked hopefully. And Nathan nudged him gently. “No I won’t”. Timmy shifted back in an instant and looked at him with big eyes, hope standing clear in it. "Why not?" he asked, giddily. Nathan smiled. He wasn't completely at ease right now with the whole ordeal. But Germaine broke it into him, that there was no turning back.

He couldn't deny any longer the feelings this little man in front of him stirred up. And he couldn't deny any longer his desire to belong to him. He felt Nates approval through their shared bond but he actually didn't need it. He knew what he had to do. And that this man now indeed was his responsibility.

"Because we are mates." Timmy almost squealed and crushed himself at the broad chest of his mate. "Really? You believe it now?" he asked eagerly, burying his nose deeply into Nathans neck. Nathan shivered involuntarily. "Yeah, we are." he sighed a bit and embraced his mate fiercely. "I don't know how to feel about this, Timmy. I really don't know. But there is no denying anymore. You are my mate." Timmy didn't say anything, he just sighed contentedly and snuggled deeper into Nathans chest. "My mate" he thought dreamily and sniffed eagerly the heavenly scent coming from Nathan.

And NathanIt was in that moment that he completely and fully understood what a mate was for a werewolf. The second he embraced the fact that Timmy was his other half, he really felt complete and at ease for once. And he wondered deeply how he could even think that another person could fill that void he didn't even knew it was there.

Words weren’t enough to describe what Nathan felt right now, the first steps in their mating bond. But he now understood why nobody was able to explain to him, what having a mate really means. He got it now, why his father said: "You reject your mate, you reject yourself. Don't do this to yourself, son." He couldn't believe what he almost did.

And on their way to Nathans car, Nate was completely satisfied with his human for once.