Chapter 13-Incubation Chamber

Drae Sanctuary
Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Alec awoke to a sharp sting on his arm. His face contorted as he reached out to sooth the pain on his arm. His eyes caught sight of a pair of white boots, before they trailed upward to meet with grey eyes shining in excitement.

"Do you really have to slap my arm?" he said. He sat up, and finally noticed the shadow of a tree he slept under and number of Draes sleeping and playing around him. His brows knit and his hand flew to his forehead, wondering what happened.

"Prof Linan, told you to take a nap, remember?" Solana said as she sat next to him. "Draecology class ended awhile ago while you slept."

"Drae's shit, I'm late for my next class," he said. Before he could get up, Solana pulled him back down and the force she used caused his back to hit the tree. He sent her a glare.

"We're classmates for the entire afternoon period," she said. "We also only have one teacher for both Combat and Weaponry class, and he's currently in Cetrulis Skyland taking care of some business." A sigh escaped his lips as he slumped against the tree. He looked over to Solana and saw her giving him an amused smile. "What?" he said. She laughed and shook her head as she turned to watch a shinning white Draeling playing with a brown one.

"Professor Gael said that you probably won't care about your studies, but," she paused, "I can see that you actually give a damn about it." Alec sighed and moved around to lie on his back as his hand shielded his eyes from the sunrays slipping past the gap in the tree's leaves.

"Mr. Kreis is around," he said. "In the short time I've known him, I learned he's quite handful if he's not pleased. And it's the first time I've encountered people like him, so I don't know how to handle his ever changing personality." Solana laughed and stood, while dusting her clothes.

"Come with me," she said, "We'll start our tour a little earlier than planned."

"Where to?" Alec said as he got up as well. Solana turned away from him and back to the direction of the white Draeling from earlier.

"We're going to the heart of the Sanctuary. A place that all students of this Academy should know," she said. "Dia!" she yelled. Alec watched as the white baby Drae's ears perked up, and whirled her little head toward them. She growled something at her friend before she bounded over to them. Once only a few feet away, Solana bent down to receive her in her arms. Instead of doing so, Dia, as was her name, stopped and pinned her black eyes on Alec.

"Here we go..." he heard Solana whisper. His eyes trailed to the white Drae as it jumped in the air while flapping its small wings and landed in his arms. Alec remained frozen as Dia rubbed against him, delighted purrs escaping her lips. Compared to Emera, Dia was smaller, as he cradled her in his arms. He looked up when he heard Solana's footsteps moving away from him. Without wasting a second, he walked after her with her Drae in his arms.

"She's been hovering over you while you slept, until I told her to play with the other Draelings," Solana said as she slowed her pace walk next to him. "Have Draes always been that comfortable with you? It's really obvious that they seem to like you almost like you're their Draeyer." Alec found himself smiling as he stroked Dia's neck, while soft snores blew through her nose. He shook his head, amused at how the creature fell asleep in his arms far too quickly. He looked around them, and realized they followed a path through an orchard, and passed trees ripe with different colored and weird looking fruits. One formed a shape of a bell, one a cube, and another an inverted pyramid. He turned back to Solana, who still looked expectant of an answer for her question. He sighed.

"My first close encounter with a Drae was less than a month ago," he said.

"You're first encounter?" Solana interrupted as her eyes grew big, as she stared him up and down. Alec shook his head at her, silently surprised to find himself being patient with her.